AirNav RadarBox and RadarBox24.com > AirNav RadarBox and RadarBox24.com Discussion

RadarBox24.com New Locations

<< < (14/21) > >>

Fanjet500:
Hi all,

just last week i did put my antennas 2 meters higher on a new pole. One goal was to come above a sat dish of a neighbours roof. The other goal was to get a better range. Now,  with the new pole, the range went about 25 km biger but the range of the directional antenna that was pointing to the sat dish went also about 25 km biger and lost range in the opposite dircetion. Interfering objects can increase the range to one direction. That was my experiance.

Greetings Rolf

Rethymnian:
Hi Rolf, that is what I am seeing. Now that I am back to my "old" setup, my sat dish, which is located behind the antenna, seems to propel the reach in a V shape towards the north. I have a feeling that I did not yet have found my sweet spot, as at present the pattern does not reach as far, compared to it's best. I will be working on it, haha

Markos

SoNic67:

--- Quote from: Rethymnian on May 04, 2017, 02:06:04 PM ---Hi Alan and Ingo, included in the box of the AirNav RadarBox ComStation, were 4 metal rods, probably to be used as a radial on the antenna, 3 on the side and one right on the top. I do not use them at present. Question: Does AirNav wants me to stick all of them on the antenna anyway, or should one only use them in case of a bad reception?

Markos

--- End quote ---

Those are absolutely necessary, part of the antenna's ground plane.
See a discussion here:
https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/three-easy-diy-antennas-for-beginners/16348/2

Runway 31:
The metal rods are the VHF antenna

Alan

neroon79:
SoNic67,

the ground plane shall be at the bottom end of the antenna. The rods at the antenna discussed here were placed at the top end of the ADS-B antenna part. Therefore the 1090MHz reception was a catastrophe if the rods were mounted.
Sometimes it might be better to carefully read the whole plot before posting a comment that doesn't fit to the particular topic.

Further the antenna has an additional problem: the point were the roads should be mounted weren't water tight --> Antenna drowns if there is strong wind paired with rain which was resulting in a massive reception reduction for about 7-10days. After demounting the antenna at the end of the last year, after 1 year on the roof, I found traces of water entry at the rods mounting threads and inside the antenna. Therefore it is very good that airnav has had withdrawn from that specific antenna very quickly.

Ingo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version