anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Australian & New Zealand Data Feeders  (Read 45505 times)

neroon79

Re: Australian & New Zealand Data Feeders
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:57 AM »
The LMR 400 (-DB) is a good alternative for the ECOFLEX 15 (+) cable. The LMR is usually world wide available.  At 1090 MHz the attenuation of the LMR is about 5dB higher than the attenuation of the ECOFLEX 15+ cable. For connections with a total lenght of up to 25m the LMR 400 should do a good job. For higher lenght a low noise amplifier mounted close to the antenna can be used instead of a cable with lower attenuation.

Ingo
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

dennisg

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
agreed, I could not find ECOFLEX in NZ so purchased the best I could here. At just over 400km range I am happy with the purchase. Just need to get my antenna a bit higher.

waituke

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 02:44:33 AM »
Can I ask where did you buy that cable in New Zealand,   I need to increase the height of my antenna only getting about 15 n miles coverage in Dunedin.  Although the hills may be the problem
Thanks
Kevin

waituke

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 02:46:49 AM »
That should be 150 n miles not 15

neroon79

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 03:43:51 AM »
If the Hills have the same height or be higher than your antenna, they will reduce your reception range. Clear line of sight is needed to receive an airframe.

About the cable: Have you tried the big G? "LMR-400" New Zealand delivers several online stores from NZ selling that cable. Comparing prizes is always a good idea.

Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

waituke

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 02:23:04 AM »
Can someone explain why my coverage keeps changing from 150nm to 240 nm is it atmospherics
Kevin
PGANRB300371

neroon79

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 03:19:28 AM »
Is the change in range in one direction or is it a variation during a 360 turn? Can you connect the change to special weather conditions at your home (strong rain and wind, long periods of fog/mist )?

At a frequency of 1090MHz the atmospheric influence (lift etc.) is very very low. Sometimes I'm able to receive high altitude airframes at a range were they are one or two degrees beneath the horizon (line of sight). On days with very strong rain I have a reduction of hits on the edge of my range. Further the maximum range is slightly lower than on days with clear blue sky. This is caused by the attenuation due to high amount of water in the amosphere. On days with high temperature I've the same effect as on days  with heavy rain, but this is related to the increase of noise of my amplifier.

Jumps in one direction of about 150 and 240nm can be caused by the following(list may not be complete):

- defective part in the reception chain, such as loose connector, corroded connector, temporary water contamination of connector, defect in antenna, colder solder of antenna jack on pcb of Comstation.

- difference in the flight level: as line of sight is needed, the following is valid: the higher the aircraft flies, the longer you can see it, the higher the reception range.

- for long distance range of high altitude airframes a high obstacle  that is several miles away can reduce the range.

- corrupt data packet received. It is possible, that a received packed is altered (collision of two or more signals at the same time) in a way, that a false position is generated while the error correction/cecksum (Similar CRC) stays valid.

- airframes that sending out false position data.

- glitches in the data processing of the Comstation. Extremely rare and close to almost impossible to fix, but they can happen. I have mine up and running for almost 6000hours. Until now I haven't seen one.

- On days with high air traffic I have noticed, that I sometimes get a slight increase in the count of airframes that I'm able to receive beneath the line of sight horizon (of obstacles). These airframes haven't performed any position jumps and the whole flight path until reception ended was plausible. These range extention can be caused by reflection of the signal on the metallic hull of other airframes. Typical indications of this effect are, that these range "lifts" are never at exactly the same position, that they never happen at same time of day/week, that they are not predictable and that they have an increase on days with lot of other airframes in the sky. This one is rare, difficult to detect and you need an awful long time in front of your monitor to see one happen.

Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

dennisg

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »
Cable was purchased from AC Technologies in Auckland. http://www.actechnologies.co.nz/

Only challenge with this particular cable type is that it is not very flexible compared to the cable that came with the unit. However that was way to short.

Dennis
PGANRB300354

dennisg

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
Last night I checked on Radarbox and there were no planes showing around Auckland where I am based. I logged in and my unit is not showing any planes being received. I  re-started the receiver but that did not change anything.

What seems strange is that there were almost zero planes showing across the whole country. The situation is the same this morning, which would suggest it is not just my receiver that is having an issue - any ideas anyone?

Dennis
PGANRB300354

neroon79

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 02:55:24 AM »
I have a lot of airframes in the sky during the day. But between 2am and 3am the sky clears up to only one or two airframes. Especially on weekends were I have about 1000 less flights than on weekdays. Usually early Saturday morning is the weakest period of the whole week. That's  why I'm doing automatic system maintenance (ANRB Software restarts, WIN Software updates) at 2:20 am on each Saturday morning.

Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

waituke

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »
Dennis where did you buy LMR400 cable from in New Zealand
Tnx
Kevin Cosgrove

neroon79

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 06:09:25 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Dennis gave the answer two replies (reply #22) before mine.

Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

dennisg

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 07:13:45 AM »
Hi Ingo,

Thanks for all your input and suggestions to this thread.

Regarding the reception, there is definitely something wrong. My receiver has not picked up a plane now for 24hrs. Watching the coverage on the app it seems the whole coverage in NZ is having issues. I have emailed support but heard nothing back yet.

Dennis

neroon79

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »
No airframe in 24h. There is definitely something wrong. I just checked FR24. Currently about 30 aircraft over New Zealand.  Is the white LED on your comstation flashing?

Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

dennisg

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:12 AM »
Hi Ingo,

white light is flashing but error light is on. Just checked an Radar Box is only showing 2 flights over or around NZ, lots more showing on other sites. Over the last week or so as new stations have come on line in NZ, coverage has been good., so it seems other stations may be having similar problems to me.

Dennis