anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna Kits  (Read 9576 times)

MCarter

Antenna Kits
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
I noticed that AirNav sells antenna kits for the RadarBox. I was wondering if anyone can post photos of what the kit looks like? It seems like there is only a description but no image of the kit itself.

Runway 31

Re: Antenna Kits
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
This is the antenna on that comes with the kit http://www.radioworld.co.uk/radar-extender_external_antenna_for_radarbox

Alan

MCarter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
Thanks for the photo. I am assuming that this has to be mounted on a pole in order to get the best height possible?

I wish there was a wireless system for home use rather than having cables. This way I could mount the antenna and have it transmit to my Radarbox. Does such a system even exist?

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
Not that I am aware of.

Yes the more height the better combined with as short a cable run as possible as the longer the cable the more the loss.  Some users have the unit near the antenna to keep the cable run shorter and use a longer USB cable to the computer and I believe is also possible to have a wireless unit to transmit to the computer rather than using a USB cable

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4772.msg48023#msg48023

Alan
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:47:33 PM by Runway 31 »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »
I've used one of these active USB extender leads with excellent results for some years, with the psu near the RB.   mine's the 15m set up with the PC on the ground floor of a tall Victorian house.   I can thoroughly recommend this active set up as an effective solution.   Without the active unit, I was getting inadequate voltage from the PC usb to the RB for it to work at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151450269847

Sorry, forgot to post the link.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:08:51 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

MCarter

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I am just trying to figure out a setup that is cost effective but functional. I'm still waiting on support to get back to me about coverage in the Caribbean but I already know I may have to order everything I need and it may be pricey...

Runway 31

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
Where in the Caribbean are you?

Alan

MCarter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
Grenada. Just west of Barbados and North of Trinidad. Back when my Radar box was operational I got coverage over the Caribbean sea. Hopefully with some more power equipment I am sure I will get much more coverage. The image blow showed my coverage with the Radarbox antenna sitting on my porch...If I can get an antenna on my roof it will do much more.

Runway 31

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:28:27 AM »
What receiver are you using now?

Alan

MCarter

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 10:01:17 AM »
I am using the basic Radarbox Pro kit, nothing else.

Runway 31

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
The antenna that comes with the unit does well only problem is the length of the cable.

I would suggest that you update to the latest version of the software.  One of the main benefits is that you can download a new database each day and keep everything up to date.

Full version 580Mb http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/ANRB/ANRB50072Setup.exe  I would suggest that you delete all traces of the original and then install to c:/Airnav no the program files location,  Its a big download and may take you some time.

Alternatively there is the upgrade from the original, just install over the original.http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/ANRB/ANRBUpgradeto50072.exe

Alan
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:19:30 AM by Runway 31 »

MCarter

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
Thanks I will give the new version a try. Unfortunately I had to move my PC to a room that is far away from my porch so the antenna won't reach there.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:49:54 PM by MCarter »

Runway 31

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 02:07:19 PM »
If you can get your antenna out of a window to let it see the sky you may pick up something

Alan

MCarter

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »
I've run into a few strange issues. I am using Windows 8.1 so I hope this isn't the problem.

1. When initializing the RadarBox program, it lags quite a bit when it reached the point where it says "RB1 Found) When I unplug the device, the program continues to initialize and it starts up right away.

2. When trying to auto find my location, I am getting a message that says it was unable to get my location from the internet.

3. When closing the application, it doesn't fully terminate. I have to unplug my radarbox and then the program fully closes.

Other than that, everything else seems to be OK, the program is recognizing the hardware as being connected
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:57:33 PM by MCarter »

Runway 31

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »
You will may need the Windows 8 drivers http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/anrb/drivers/ANRB-Win8Drivers-v2.08.30.zip  See the sticky at the top of the forum page re Windows 8.1 but it sounds as though you are OK.

It is normal for a delay in initialising, there is lots to set up, usually takes a couple of minutes, don't unplug or anything just let it do its thing.

You are better using google earth to find your location, have it set to decimal them enter it manually

Always close down using File/Exit, don't use the rec cross method.

To update the database go to File/Database Explorer/Database updates/Update all records.  Then press start Update.  You will then see a green progress bar going from left to right.  Once completed it will then start processing and when complete it will ask you to close down and restart Radarbox.  On starting up it will finish processing before starting the app.  The d/b has around 235,000 records in the aircraft table and you can check the by looking at Database Explorer/Tables/Aircraft and you should see the number 235,*** rows loaded in ****ms

Alan