anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RF Amplifier failed ?  (Read 4380 times)

G0DAM

RF Amplifier failed ?
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
Ha Ha, I am not good at this game.  First try 'vanished' before complete.

ANRB 3D worked better than expected, for the first 6 days, using the Kit antenna up in 'the clear'.

When system shut down at 1900 hours GMT on day 6, 'My Flights' was showing normal activity reduction down about 30 aircraft within 100 to 110 miles of this location.

Since switch on at 1000 hours GMT on day 7, 'My Flights' registers nothing, hardware shown 'connected' but message rate is zero.  On the Box, signal LED is off and USB LED pulses at 1 second intervals.  However, ‘Network’ shows all expected overhead activity and I can physically see some of the aircraft.

RF Amplifier failed ?  No known local static or radio transmitter activity overnight.  Now know of another local case a couple of weeks ago so is this a common experience ?  Any advice will be gratefully received.

Bob

Runway 31

Re: RF Amplifier failed ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
Bob,

I would suggest that you contact [email protected] for advice.

There has been problems in the past with SAW filters but that was usually early examples of the box as far as I am aware.  Have you tried unplugging and plugging in the USB lead and making sure the antenna connection is OK.

Alan

G0DAM

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »
Thanks for that Alan

No reply from them yet.  Tried both their report form and by direct e-mail.  Other sufferer says he did not get reply either.

Tried 3 different Antennas, 3 computers (1 Win 7 others Win 8.1), 3 USB cables, my box on friends installation and his box on my installation (that worked but did not risk it for long).

Topic improvement - overflight rate shoud have read 'down TO about 30'.  Also forgot to say software came at level 4 (2009 ?) -I up'ed it to 5.00.072

Some of my thoughts - item way outside UK mechantability rules and CE mark should say item reasonably well EMI protected but as made in China could this be something like the problem of missing EMI components in Chinese Computer PSUs.

Bob

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:53 AM »
We are here for support 24/7, we are very suprised you mentioned someone else has emailed without reply.

When using the form or direct email, you should get an email back with the ticket id. When sending the message please include all the details.

Did you get an ticket id?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:01 AM »
We can see we got your 2nd email fine in the last hour and this should be replied to soon.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
You should normally get an auto reply within 24 hours giving a ID number which you can use for future reference for the complaint.  If you haven't had the auto reply this would look like they haven't received it.

Alan

73TORANA!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
Firstly you will not in most cases be aware of an ESD in your area, it can happen in fine weather or stormy. in fact at a relatively low humidity you are more at risk of ESD. Many factor involved. You may have done it by touching it. As little as 50 volts static can do it with the protection the radar box has or doesn't have!
I bought a radar box back in 09 and after a while same thing happened, as I am a radio engineer i fixed it my self. The problem was ESD, the ESD device that the radar box uses was/is rubbish and offers no protection to the sensitive saw filters. I replaced the saw filter and made a stupidly simple ESD device and to this day it has survived all sorts on storms and even a near direct hit on another antenna I have. I have sent countless emails to Airnav but no replies. Even spoke to Airnav reps at an Australian airshow that denied any problems but still I keep hearing of dying radar boxes. The simple and safe fix is to wind 3 turns of 50 thou wire on a 1/8th dril bit and solder it directly across the antenna input, this will provide a low impeadence path for DC to way into the UHF band but will appear as an open circuit to 1090Mhz. Has the Radar box been updated since 2009? If you box is under warranty send it back and dont take no for an answer. Mine has been to hell and back and is regularly pounded with hi power RF from near by antennas and is just as sensitive as it was when I fixed it. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:29:30 AM by 73TORANA! »