AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MICRO Radarbox  (Read 10971 times)

shouriken

MICRO Radarbox
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »
Waters & Stanton announces a new device
http://wsplc.com/airnav-radarbox/micro-radarbox.html
The new Micro Radarbox

No delays and no missing aircraft on your display. Watch it as it happens, not after the event...

The package comprises a "dongle" style reciever together with USB lead and antenna. You need to have your own radvar display. Download the free software with no password or registration needed. All you need is a Windows based PC or laptop. Another exclusive offer from Europe's Ham Store.

Is this a real AirNav device? Or is it fake?
Liviu
A.net JetPhotos.Net
RadarBox
2xRTL USB + Franklin+Collinear antenna + PlanePlotter

lambertw

Re: MICRO Radarbox
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »
Just looks like a run of mill dongle which you can get for a few quid a lot of enthusiasts use these already on PP,I bought three for about a fiver each last year,no doubt some person will explain what exactly is inside these RB dongles.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:25:35 PM by lambertw »

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Just looked on the W&S website and noticed that the traditional Radarbox Pro is at the same price now eg £59.95  ( a lot cheaper than when I bought into the system) and the 3D version under a £100.  So looks like selling off cheap to clear stock.

Speculation on my part but maybe Airnav getting out of the hardware market and OEM'ing  (technically term for buying in the hardware and sticking your badge on it) a dongle with the Radarbox software and services making up for the difference in price. 

Graham

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
The existing boxes have been at that price for some time and was mentioned on here 3 or 4 months ago

This is a completely new build Airnav product built I would imagine in response to the dongles mentioned and which along with the 5.00.72 software does the same as the Radarbox but at a fraction of the price.  I would imagine Airnav will provide details in due course.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:21:59 PM by Runway 31 »

shouriken

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
I've just noticed that the RTL-SDR dongle support files are present in the RadarBox folder: libusb0.dll, libusb-1.0.dll and rtlsdr.dll.

And somebody complained recently about ANRB connecting to the dongle insted of RB
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=8273.0
Liviu
A.net JetPhotos.Net
RadarBox
2xRTL USB + Franklin+Collinear antenna + PlanePlotter

neroon79

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
Some general info about dongles:

The dongles used with pp software or to directly feed RB24 / FR24 are based on SDR (SoftwareDefinedRadio) ICs originally developed to receive digital terrestrial television. Some of these ICs are widebandwidth types able to receive signals  from 25 MHz up to 1700 MHz (guaranteed range 422 Hz to 1002MHz). If used with original drivers frequencies not used for DVD broadcast are blocked out.

But there are special drivers available on the net which allows you to access the full bandwidth  of the SDR  chip. The few wide bandwidth combined with special drivers  an be used to receive ADS-B signals. As these chips are  massproduction types they are extremely cheap.
Due to the high bandwidth they are less sensitive than  a special designed state of the art ADS-B receiver (not the current radar box hardware) possibly capable of  GPS generated reception time stamps .

This extremely expensive MLAT supporting Receivers are best for enthusiasts, who do not care much about money. The dongles are good choice for all on/off hobbyists or for secondary or third device receivers.

As Alan said: Eventually, they will have to show color.

Ingo
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:45:53 PM by neroon79 »
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

oliver14

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
I am surprised that there has been no official word on this yet, or have I missed it ? 
It's certainly not a secret any more !!, and I hope that price is wrong.

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
If you look at the advert there is no stock so I am assuming that it has not been released yet.

Alan

Brisbane

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
I have been running a dongle and Radarbox side by side for a couple of years now.
Using identical homebrew aerials the dongle consistently pulls in 2 or 300 more hits than the Radarbox.

Whilst the Radarbox is quite ancient, I was still surprised at how more sensitive the dongle is.

It was a bit of a pain setting it up,  but running on Virtual Radar Server it is really quite impressive for £15.

Will the new Radarbox be 3D?

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »
Brisbane, it is the software which is 3D capable not the receiver.

Alan