anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flightpath Error  (Read 2944 times)

Knotty

Flightpath Error
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
Looking at my computer screen and at Radarbox24 Elite on my phone I noticed that, for a Helvetic Airways flight, it was showing my box as the source. Hence, I was surprised to see that the flight-path shown on the phone was over 15 miles east of that shown on my screen, which went overhead.
To check, I went outside and saw a plane going overhead, which I assume was the flight in question. If the data is really coming from my box, why is the flight-path so far adrift? Is there some form of calibration needed?

Runway 31

Re: Flightpath Error
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
Knotty,

Fokker 100's which I presume the Helvatic flight would be using are old aircraft with old equipment and are very prone to position errors.  You can often see this on landing as they appear to land in a field to the side of the airport.   This can be confirmed by using a modern aircraft to compare.

Alan

Knotty

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:23:06 AM »
Thanks Alan,
I accept that the data from the Helvetic plane could well be wrong, but my real query is why it showed correctly on my system, but incorrectly on the Radarbox24 Elite app.
Ostensibly the same data was being used, as my box was shown as the source.

I have found no such errors when comparing locations for other aircraft in similar situations.

Knotty

neroon79

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
Hi Knotty,

this could be one of the glitches that could happen in the computer world. As you stated the particular aircraft was the only one that had shown that behaviour. The more often an error apears, the easier it is to fix it. I'm using elite app, RB24 website and RB software on a dayly base and never noticed that kind of error.

Are you able to provide the registration of the affected aircraft?

Now that I know of that behaviour I'll keep an eye open and maybe we can figure out what caused it.

Ingo
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »
Sorry Knotty, I didn't note that you had it different on the phone app compared to the box.  I have no idea why one aircraft would be showing differently.  I would be more concerned if that was they same with all aircraft though.

Alan

Knotty

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »
This is not a matter of life and death, more an intriguing phenomenon. I am not saying that it is only related to this particular flight or that it is not, as I have done no serious analysis.
Sorry, but did not note the flight details at the time, but looking at my log, it was probably F100 HB-JVH, I think going from Manchester to Zurich.
The reason that I noticed it is because I saw on my own system that it was going overhead and, as the Radarbox24 Elite data was coming from my box, I went outside with my phone and found they did not match. I do not make a habit of using both simultaneously.
I would have to do a lot more checks to see if this is a one off, or maybe there is a time-space distortion in my village.
Thanks for the interest folks. I thought someone cleverer than me would know the answer.

Knotty

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
Sorry, That should have been Birmingham, not Manchester.

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
I don't have the app so cant check Knotty but hopefully its a one off.  Maybe I need to upgrade my old phone to allow me to try it.

Alan

neroon79

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
How far have you zoomed in the map? Because at one point you will always have a detectable mismatch of position because of the fact, that there is delay of several 10 seconds between your own received data and what is displayed in the elite app. This delay is caused by precessing and transimitting time from your PC over the web to AN servers and back to your phone via the web.

This would not explain a position difference in east-west direction of a north south filght. This could be caused by map/airframe alignment issue or by a data processing error.

It's not always a matter of cleverness but a matter of simplicity of a discovered misbehaviour. I personaly like the complicated kind of glitches more than the easy to explain / easy to fix ones. Because the last type is boring.

Thank's for the reg. This one is performing flights between EDDV and LSZH and back on a regular basis.  Good chance that I get this airframe within the next couple of days or weeks. I'm quite curious, if it shows the same behaviour for me too.

Ingo
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:57:36 PM by neroon79 »
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3