AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ShipXplorer AIS Dongle  (Read 3661 times)

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
ShipXplorer AIS Dongle
« on: November 08, 2022, 11:31:17 PM »
Has any one used ShipXplorer AIS Dongle?
Does it has following built-in?

(1) 162 MHz Filter

(2) LNA

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
Re: ShipXplorer AIS Dongle
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 03:27:26 AM »
Currently I am receiving AIS signals using generic DVB-T, a DIY 162 MHz Aerial, and AIS-Catcher software on RPi, and feeding Rdarbox24's sister company "ShipXplorer".

Due to strong Cell/mobile RF signal at my location I need to replace Generic DVB-T by a dongle with builtin filter (like Radarbox24 Green 1090 Mhz FlightStick). The ShipXplorer Store sell a dongle for AIS, but specs are very brief and do not tell if the dongle has a builtin Filter & LNA or not.

Below is the link to my ShipXplorer feeder map.

https://www.shipxplorer.com/stations/SXAISD0000174

ymm

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 03:34:39 PM »
I have one, and the specs I have are also very brief: “Dual channel reception on 161.975 MHz and 162.025 MHz.” https://www.shipxplorer.com/ais-dongle

Not sure if it is a real dual channel receiver that receives both channels concurrently or a single channel receiver that hops between the two AIS channels?

I have no info on sensitivity numbers, but it is on par as far as range with a dongle I have that lists -104dBm @30% PER.

Not sure about built-in filter, but if you can afford an Uputronics 162MHz AIS Filtered Preamp, that would help your current DVB-T.
https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=93

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »
@ymm

Thank you for detailed reply.
The ShipXplorer do not provide a forum, and that is why I had to post it here.

I have one, and the specs I have are also very brief: “Dual channel reception on 161.975 MHz and 162.025 MHz.”

Not sure if it is a real dual channel receiver that receives both channels concurrently or a single channel receiver that hops between the two AIS channels?

As regards to your above comment, to receive the 2 channels concurrently, I feel that to do this, the dongle should have dual-tuner. Most likely dual channel reception is by hopping, which is performed by the AIS Software. The lack of specs of ShipXplorer AIS dongle makes it impossible to know all these secrets, unless someone familier with Electronics & Chips opens the cover of dongle and examines what is inside.

Thanks for link to Uputronics 162MHz AIS Filtered Preamp. This seems to be the best available solution to use with a US $12 Generic DVB-T, no need to spend US $29 on ShipXplorer's AIS Dongle, for which I am not sure what it has in it. Someone has told me that it is simply a DVB-T, and does NOT have a Filter or Preamp or dual tuner, but I dont know how authentic this info is.

I am successfully receiving AIS channels A & B (most likely by hopping done by software), using a US $10 Generic DVB-T (Black) dongle, and software AIS-catcher.

To receive AIS using a DVB-T dongle, I have posted the How-To in these forums:

Flightaware Forum: Howto Run ADS-B Receiver + AIS Receiver on Same RPi

Flightradar24 Forum: Howto Run ADS-B Receiver + AIS Receiver on Same RPi

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 03:49:08 PM by abcd567 »

ymm

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 03:55:08 PM »
Keep us posted if you end up deploying the Uputronics.

I’m running 3 dongles for ADS-B, AIS and VHF on an RPi. Next is to upgrade the setup with Preamps from Uputronics for 1090 and 162MHz.

I have browsed several of your posts on the various forums in the past and they have been helpful to me.

Thanks, and keep sharing!