anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting comparison  (Read 2582 times)

Brisbane

Interesting comparison
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
About a week ago, my ancient Radarbox lost it's range to around 30 miles with an outdoor antenna.  I checked it with another aerial with little difference, so was faced with getting in touch with support to have it returned for repair.

However, just before that, I made up another homemade aerial that I use with a DVB-T dongle using RTL1090 software via Virtual Radar Server. Plugged it in and was getting a good improvement in range, thankfully was'nt the box up the spout.

I have got both homebrews stuck up inside my velux window, side by side.

What has become obvious though, is that starting and stopping both at the same time is the number of hits. The Radarbox had 720 total for yesterday, 29th May whereas the stick had 1,151, quite a significant difference.

My Radarbox cost £400+, the stick £13.95, go figure!

lenow

Re: Interesting comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
Interesting post.
I am running Radarbox and RTL1090 with a Cosycave dongle, and also see more aircraft on RTL than Radarbox.

neroon79

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
Things that should be considered:

These dongles were developed with hardware from the past one or two years. The Radarbox hardware was developed with hardware that is by now more or less about 8-10 years old. Recent Hardware can have more sensivity, which can result in an increase of received airframes.

ANRB software and Hardware uses some algorithms which trieing to filter out corrupted datapackets. This will reduce the number of received "valid" flight movements.

Ingo

Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

lenow

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:35:12 AM »
Same here, I am running RB1 and cosycave dongle with Planeplotter.
The antennas are both indoors, and the Dongle receives acft at a much greater distance than RB1.
Both antennas within a metre of each other.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
Hi Lenow, what is the maximum distance you've picked A/C up and at what height were they at?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!