AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Office 2010 crashing radarbox  (Read 8485 times)

mikek

Office 2010 crashing radarbox
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:28:59 AM »
Does anybody else have Microsoft Office 2010 Professional installed and and no problems with Radarbox?

I recently installed Office and every time the screen saver comes on or I click on switch user, RB crashes when I return to my log in. It is definately Office causing it as I have uninstalled it and RB worked fine. Tried reinstalling it and it crashed again. For now I am running without office installed...

It occurred even if I wasn't running any Office programs themselves, they just had to be installed.

I have found the following thread from a while back, but it didn't seem to have a final resolution to it.
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5913.0
The error I get is either the same or very similar to the one on that thread.

I am using Vista (probably my first mistake...). It is fully updated (as was Office) via Windows Update.

Anyone else out there had a similar problem they managed to sort out?
If not, I guess I'll have to keep going without Office!

Thanks,
Mike

Birdie

Re: Office 2010 crashing radarbox
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:47:09 AM »
Every time I closed my Internet Explorer, my RB crashed !

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
I think I vaguely remember that this is caused by not running RB as an Administrator - worth a try.

Rod
Rod

satbopper

• www.radioham.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »
Hello,
This has nothing to do with administrator rights.
RB runs ok only on a dedicated pc,a lot of programs will crash RB,changing your mouse pointer will
crash RB,its a fact
Try to make a connection with teamviewer to your RB PC,crashing time
Are all those programs rubbish ?? no.
For me i run RB only on a sony laptop and work on other pc's in the network here,so RB will keep running
I hope this will be solved in the upcoming update in 2013
greetings
ronnie

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
I have RB on my main computer and laptop with loads of other programmes including Office 2007 and Photoshop etc and dont have any crashing problems.  I use Windows 7 but used XP previously and had no problems using it either

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
My Acer laptop is a few years old now, running on Vista, with radar box running 24/7 sometimes. Takes some time to start up now but I have not had a problem with the RB at all.
Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »
RB runs ok only on a dedicated pc,a lot of programs will crash RB,changing your mouse pointer will
crash RB,its a fact

Certainly NOT A FACT, in fact absolute rubbish Satbopper.

If you've got a glitchy version of Windows (whichever version) installed you will probably get problems, and there's an awful lot of glitchy Windows - mainly slightly cheaper eBay sold - products, which may or may not be 100% kosher!   I know because I've been there, I bought Windows 7 complete with hologram, official sticker etc. and appearing to be genuine, but on finding a few very minor problems and contacting Microsoft was told it was a pirated copy.   I offered to help MS pursue the vendor and try to stop the piracy - neither they nor FAST wanted to know.   Even though Win 8 is out, MS still want £139 to "upgrade to an authorised copy" and so I continue with a slightly glitchy version!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

knight01

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »
crash RB,its a fact

Certainly NOT A FACT, in fact absolute rubbish Satbopper.

It is a FACT that Radarbox software is full of bugs and opening some software will crash it.  This has been proven many times by many users on this forum.
This is not the fault of the software you are using or even Windows. By blaming the software and/or Windows for the crash, multitasking within Windows would be impossible, as opening one program will cause the another to crash.

I run Radarbox on a high-end quad core PC with genuine Retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and radarbox software will crash every time if I open Photoshop CS6.  I will have many programs (e.g. multiple Virtual machines) open simultaneously when I'm using my PC at full and none of those programs will crash, only Radarbox will crash. The culprit is Radarbox, where the programming code is ancient and needs updating.

I think I've mentioned this before on a previous thread that I'm a Tech support analyst and this is one of the issues I have to deal with on a regular basis.

CoastGuardJon what you must've purchased from ebay is a version of Windows where someone has added spyware/malware within the copy of Windows you purchased.  Modifying Windows code to make it "glitchy" is difficult to do and most "hackers" are not bothered.  They will "slipstream" malware/spyware keyloggers etc. into Windows installation files to make a new Windows disc image.  Bit like manually slipstreaming service pack into Windows installation.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:14:06 AM by knight01 »

Runway 31

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
Guess I and as there are very few complaing about it, the majority are just lucky then.

I have my I7 powered laptop on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and have Radarbox running with 6 or 7 tabs of IE9 running all day along with my Access based d/b, Outlook and the updater software running continuously and various other programs like, Office and Photoshop being switched off and on during the day as required with no problems as its never crashed yet in over a year running it for 14 hours a day.

Radarbox is running old code as it came out well before Vista, Windows 7/8 and maybe new code will help the few affected but I havent a clue why 2 or 3 people seem to have the problem and the rest are OK, maybe its because we dont see a need to change the mouse pointer!!  :-))

Alan

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
I've run RB since April 2008 and NEVER seen it crash, and I too run a lot of other software - over that time it's run with Office 2003 and 2010, Outlook Express and Outlook 2010, Firefox, IE, Chrome, video grabbers and editors, various photo-editing programs, ebook creators, Skype, Google Earth, Dropbox,a selection of anti-virus pragrams, FTP, webpage creation programs, and under Win XP, Vista and 7, and on PCs, laptops and a netbook.

Seems stable enough to me.

Rod
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:52:31 AM by RodBearden »
Rod

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
Thanks for the enlightenment knight01, so we can safely assume now that MS Windows and Office are 100% glitch-free but RadarBox software isn't..................
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

knight01

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
No-one is saying that, Windows has many bugs, anyone who has ever used Windows knows that.  When debugging a software crash, every software being used at the time (inc. OS and crashed software) is under the spotlight.  But to put all the blame on a OS is not good for debugging and fixing the underline issue - why is only Radarbox crashing under certain circumstances and all other software running remain stable.  Just because one person hasn't experienced a crash, doesn't mean the problem is fixed and doesn't exist.

There are just too many reports going back years, here are some past threads on this issue:
Thread from 2008, user running Vista: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1826.0
Thread from 2010: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5535.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=6846.0

Runway 31

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
I dont think that anyone is suggesting the problem doesnt exist.  This problem seems to affect very few users with the vast majority having no problems whatsoever so to simply blame Radarbox is very simplistic and would take a bit of investigation to find out the cause.

Alan

FACTflights

• Amateur Radio is my hobby.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »
I run ANRB version 4.03 under 64bit Windows 7 Professional Before that I used XP).   
I run many other software including Adobe Photoshop CS6. 
My computer does multi tasking all the time. 
It has never crashed. 
I must add that I have all the Microsoft updates for my OS as well as the updates for all my other software including Mozilla.

I suggest you might have a hardware problem that causes the crash due to incorrect interrupt sharing or out dated drivers.
John
ZS1AGH
We live under a rock:  Table Mountain

Icom IC 706 Mk II G; Icom IC 726; Icom IC T22E; Yaesu 290R; Alinco DJ-V5 
No HF antennae at the moment.

mikek

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
Well I've had no joy with anything to get it working with Office installed. I've gone through 3 installs/uninstalls of Office, including tried installing it into a folder other than the default. Tried using Radarbox as an administrator with no luck. It seems to be good until I restart my computer, then radarbox crashes whenever I leave my login as the active screen.
I also tried reinstalling radarbox but no change.

Oh well, I guess Office won't be used for the next while until/if a fix comes around or I get a new computer and hope that it works okay on that...

Thanks for the suggestions though,
Mike