AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ryanair callsigns  (Read 11972 times)

Deadcalm

Ryanair callsigns
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »
Ryanair, in common with other airlines, include alphanumerics in their callsigns.
I'm currently watching the RYR98RF, which I've sussed as EGGP - LFBL, and also the RYR98AB which is northbound over eastern France, whose route details for the moment escape me.
Can anyone lay their hands on some sort of decode (perhaps from a tame Ryanair crew member), or do the alpha suffixes change randomly?  At NATS, of course, we always had the callsign and route on the FPS.

DC
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:15:02 PM by Deadcalm »
Go around, I say again go around...

EINN-07

Re: Ryanair callsigns
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »
DC

The RYR callsigns are fixed per route so do not change randomly. However I am not aware of a dB with the translations from full numeric to alpha numeric. The only way at present is to do it the hard way which is more difficult to do if you are not at either end of the route and cannot tie into take off / arrival times.

Deadcalm

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
Thanks, EINN-07.  I appreciate that the route flight numbers per se don't change, however the callsigns seem to.  For example, a Ryanair flight on one day may display a full four-figure callsign, say '1234' (from which RadarBox may or may not display the route - it's very hit and miss).  The identical flight on another day may display only two figures and two letters - for instance, "12AB", and on another day "12RG".  Consequently, being located in France, identifying the destination and departure airfields for passing high-level traffic is well nigh impossible!

Air France use similar combinations, but it seems that they just append letters to their existing numerical callsigns/flight numbers, so it's not too difficult to work out where the flights are to or from.

DC
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 08:15:08 PM by Deadcalm »

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
It all depends on what the cockpit crew want to (or can be bothered to) enter into the system. Until there is a definate rulling forcing them to use the proper call sign in the Mode-S/ADS-B equipment we are all stuffed at times :-)

Deadcalm

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
Roadrunner, I'm not so sure I go along with that.  The callsign (used in R/T) is allocated, suffix letters and all, independently of the flight crew.  This is what appears on the flight strip for the aircraft at ATC, and is how the a/c on that trip is identified.  At some point, the trip is given this callsign, and probably to a prescribed formula.  The point I was trying to make does not take account of  any mistaken entry in to the FMC system, but relates to a way of identifying the method of allocation of the callsign/suffix combination in the first place.

DC

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »
OK sorry I misunderstood what you were getting at. I listen on radio and often the on-air call-sign is different to that displayed on RB :-(

Regards Mike

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »
FD6 correctly decodes Ryanair callsigns, so you can use that with Planeplotter to lookup Ryanair callsigns.