AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Second major failure  (Read 9896 times)

freqhopping

Second major failure
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
Looks like my main board has failed again.   Came home to lack of flights.  MyLog shows it pretty good when it starts to fail.  Like before it will now only receive an aircraft within about 1/2 mile.

It ran for about two years and eight months at better than 90% of 24/7 operation since I got it back from the first repair.

So how much does it cost to fix one that isn't covered by warranty?

chris kelham

Re: Second major failure
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:03:23 AM »
Might not be the box - My Flights dropped off to one at a time picking up 50 flights all day in very local traffic - but new ariel bought on Monday following advice from this forum and I'm back in business! My "broken box" has proved to be ariel's on two occasions. W&S curently out of stock of indoor ariel but others on net were selling.

Secondly if out of warrnty W&S mendend mine for only about £40.00 for soldering new connection. They will do an estimate first (with a standard charge for looking should you not go ahead)

I'd check the indoor ariel first (cost about £20.00)

Chris

freqhopping

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
I knew someone would say that.  I've been there and done this before.  It's not the antenna or connection. I'm using a DPD antenna.

There first time it failed I was actually still getting more than I am now. 

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
Contact support direct

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »
Hi FreqH, Have you got your box back and sorted yet, if so, how much and what was the problem?

CGJon
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

freqhopping

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
I haven't bothered to send it in.  Too busy to be messing about with it right now.   I have to ship it overseas which means at least a month turn around, if I remember correctly about last time. 

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Thanks FreqH, keep us posted please.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

freqhopping

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »
So last month I ask for a repair quote. No quote but was told to "return to (Waters & Stanton PLC) and we will get a replacement to you once we have recieved it."

Today I'm notified that the F1, C2, C3, U1 were replaced and they want $130.  I'll spend my money on a system that doesn't fail every few years instead if I decided to do anything at all.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:01:36 AM by AirNav Support »

satbopper

• www.radioham.nl
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »
Hi Freqhopping,
All your troubles about the box is the result of very bad components inside the box
no filtering,crappy connections (antenne)
i looked inside the box,the first thing a radio amateur does hi and it didnt made me happy
As a ham radio amateur i know what i talking about,if i make a broadcast with 20 watts output
power,the box will go crazy.
there is no TFI in the shack,i work the whole world,and the antennes on the roof are not
close together.
So a lot of money for the box with lousy components.
Sure there will be a lot of people who are saying "ïts not treu" they dont know what they are talking about
Greetings
Ronnie

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
freqhopping,

Please contact us direct and we will try and sort something out, Waters & Stanton has provided a return service for customers and the vast majority of customers have been happy with the quick service during the warranty period. However if a RB is found to be damaged outside of what we call normal conditions there is a charge and this is similar to any products warranty. The vast majority for returns however are covered under warranty, in fact many are covered free of charge outside warranty as well. Anyhow we will try our best to resolve this issue if you contact us with your details and the conversation you have had with W&S.

Furthermore there was no need to swear in your post and no need to post on the forum before even contacting us to intervene.

Satbopper, as your last post on another thread it seems like its only been posted to just create trouble. We have many customers who are very happy with the software and the hardware and we won't be dragged into another conversation regarding this. If you have an issue that you were like resolved please email us and we will do our best to help you.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CYYZGUY

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
I have to say, in AirNav's defense here.  I have had my box for years and have never had a problem.  I have opened it up and checked the quality of the soldering and it appears to me to be fine.  Also, I have both the USB cable and incoming antenna cable wrapped around ferrite core's/chokes.  I also have my box sitting on an anti-static pad just as extra insurance.  There are things you can do to prevent problems and I have taken all precautionary measures...  Not sure how well you have your antenna wrapped (connections)...When I first put up my setup, i did a half ass job where my connections were exposed to the elements....my range went down significantly once water had got in.   I went back up, cleaned out the cable connections, wrapped them and used liquid electrical tape to make a water-tight seal.  My range peaks at 400 Nm..............Sometimes, it is user error.........................
2 Nm North from Canada's Busiest Airport CYYZ

DPD 1090 Mhz Antenna with LMR-400 Cable
Antenna 35 Feet (11 Meters) standing tall
Dedicated Airnav Station with 16 Gigs ram
Dedicated Radarbox24 Station with 16 Gigs ram
40" LED Monitor
40" LED Monitor
BCD996XT, BCT15X, BCT15X, BCT15 and BCD436 receiver

freqhopping

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
I have to say, in AirNav's defense here.  I have had my box for years and have never had a problem.  I have opened it up and checked the quality of the soldering and it appears to me to be fine.  Also, I have both the USB cable and incoming antenna cable wrapped around ferrite core's/chokes.  I also have my box sitting on an anti-static pad just as extra insurance.  There are things you can do to prevent problems and I have taken all precautionary measures...  Not sure how well you have your antenna wrapped (connections)...When I first put up my setup, i did a half ass job where my connections were exposed to the elements....my range went down significantly once water had got in.   I went back up, cleaned out the cable connections, wrapped them and used liquid electrical tape to make a water-tight seal.  My range peaks at 400 Nm..............Sometimes, it is user error.........................

You're making quite the assumption that any of my hardware is outdoors.  It's not and never has been.

Who wouldn't have 400nm range with an antenna mounted over 100ft high and unobstructed? I get 200nm at 30ft above ground level with obstructive terrain.  And that's not with bogus peaks due to bogus GPS data.