anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox 3D data record/acces capability confirmation?  (Read 1888 times)

markc01

RadarBox 3D data record/acces capability confirmation?
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »
Hi,

I am interested in buying a RadarBox 3D with the 20m cable and antenna. I want to take the set-up, along with a laptop, to the Ukraine to work on a project. My main interest is to compare the coordinate data with the project System Under Test (SUT). I want to use the RadarBox 3D as a Truth/Reference source.

I want to make sure that after I have finished a few hours of testing that I can access the recorded RadarBox 3D ADS-B data to compare the Latitude, Longitude and Altitude data to the same data that I will record from the SUT?

I will not be going to the test location for a couple of months, so in the mean time I want to monitor the internet data to see how much activity I will see around Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine. This will help me plan and modify my testing.

Is it possible and easy to do what I am requesting using the RadarBox 3D?  Will I easily be able to record and access the data (lat, long, alt and other track information) for post test comparison?  What is the exact procedure for getting to the precise coordinate data?

Any confirmation, correction and/or help is appreciated,
Mark

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: RadarBox 3D data record/acces capability confirmation?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome.

Yes, what I think you want to do sounds possible. Radarbox can store the lat/long tracks of all the ADS-B aircraft that you receive, via the Recording function. That produces a track log of Aircraft ID along with the lat/long and altitude. It's a text file that can be wrangled to do what you want.

Do remember that the lat/longs and altitudes recorded are those transmitted by the aircraft, and derived from their own navigation equiipment, so the accuracy will depend on that equipment, not RadarBox. Modern GPS systems are of course very accurate, but there are plenty of ADS-B aircraft around using older navigation systems of very variable (in)accuracy.

BTW, the features you want are available ofn the 2D Pro version as well as the 3D version.

I attach a 30-second recording I've just made - open it in Notepad. I haven't got a field list, but it must be very easy to work out what's what.

HTH

Rod
Rod