anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WIMO antenna system  (Read 17386 times)

drskeptical

WIMO antenna system
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »
Hi
Well after buying the Airnav radar box last week at the Blackpool rally, I decided that I needed the outside aerial, preamp kit from Wimo.
Although not cheap I took the plunge and ordered the kit. It arrived on Thursday just before Good Friday, but bad weather and an ear infection stopped play.

Any way as it's Easter Monday I decided to go out and install the system. Wimo had made a super job of putting the N type plugs on I was reluctant to cut one off to feed the cable through the wall. Instead I got a 26mm masonry drill and launched this through the wall. EEK! I thought when finished never mind the present Mrs. S was out, so I had to move quickly. I then got a piece of 25mm plastic conduit pipe the N type plugs just slides through this as if it was designed for it. Put the conduit through the hole in the wall, and fed the n type plug and cable through the pipe. Then sealed the conduit into place with silicone sealant, and sealed the cable into the conduit once I had run it into the room.
All now hidden under the curtains so Mrs. S won't see it for a while. (I hope)

Now my first screen shots....
I hope I have done this correctly, the first 2 are screen shots with the standard antenna.
Next are with the WIMO antenna and pre amp.

[attachment deleted by admin]

EINN-07

Re: WIMO antenna system
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »

All now hidden under the curtains so Mrs. S won't see it for a while. (I hope)

If she's anything like my wife she'll walk straight in, pull back the curtains and say 'Where did that wire come from ?' They do have the ability to smell co-ax - a previously little known sixth sense of the female species :(.

Nice screenshots btw

drskeptical

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
Hi
Yes your bang on with the sixth sense. Just arrived home went to the bin out side and bingo "Whats this" any way at least I have been rumbled now.

Still, I am impressed with the coverage of this set up I can see flights way down to the south of Engalnd and Northern France. Wow I am chuffed...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
Great comparison pictures there. Really shows the difference it makes with a preamp and external antenna.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

pcochrane12

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »
just ordered one myself wish it was here now that ive looked at those if results are anywhere near the same its going to make good viewing up here in northumberland
great to see results from the system you are intending to use yourself
cheers paul

drskeptical

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
Hi
Yes I can reccommend it here is a shot of the antenna installed..

[attachment deleted by admin]