anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mlat  (Read 34716 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: Mlat
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
MLAT feature will be released by us, do not worry, the details are deliberately kept quiet and not passed on to anyone outside AirNav (including beta testers) as this is sensitive information and has a competitive disadvantage if released too early.

So, AN, are you now saying that MLAT  can be implemented using current RBs, or is this going to be a Mk II device?

There are many projects lined up (including MLAT) and rest assured they will be ready and you will be pleased when they arrive :)

I've learnt from your past promises not to hold my breath whilst waiting, so I don't think I'll start again now!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »
In response to Airnav, thanks for coming back and making your case.  With respect to "there are many projects lined up (including MLAT) and rest assured they will be ready and you will be pleased when they arrive" I have no doubt that the quality of whatever eventually comes will be excellent and we will indeed be pleased when they arrive. It's all a question of timing.

In response to Tarbat,  if Airnav have "learnt from ShipTrax in that it's unwise to announce a product until you're confident of a launch date" then we have a measure of agreement. That policy however has its pitfalls and, as has been clearly expressed on this very forum, extended periods of silence do not indicate that "no news is good news" - on the contrary no news has been literally that and has given rise to threads like this.

A balanced view as to the release of information is necessary. You have to keep the fish on the line even if the keepnet isn't yet to hand.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Thats understood Bratters, we will do that.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

jannuh

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
however anrb has better coverage which means it would be able to mlat in europe which pp cannot

Even satcom, a PP advocate, admits that:

What an interesting comment about Mlat in Europe

The only reason it "doesnt work " is that PP users in Europe either cant be bothered , or are too frightened to contribute due to local legislation....

Agree Tarbat, you see very few sharers of any data via internet in Germany; not allowed is not allowed, so you better don't do it, same or less strict in some other countrys in western-weurope, or even more strict in middle-east etc.

But MLAT is alive in PP, AN better doesn't speak of it...   it's too early!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
Agree Tarbat, you see very few sharers of any data via internet in Germany;

Plenty of Radarbox sharers in Germany.
http://batchgeo.com/map/a9ba591cd3e3f0fc0d5f0f9c56fc53b3
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:35:39 PM by tarbat »

jannuh

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
I count 6 in the Netherlands, 11 in Germany, 4 Switzerland, 3 Austria, 4 Italy, 21 France(6 just in Paris).
(must be lot more RB's sold)

Agree, 11 in Germany isn't that bad...

lambertw

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Mlat is said to not always 100% reliable at pinpointing aircrafts exact location, and I go along with that,but having said that at my location I do not have many mod aircraft pass directly over me,but those that do in my case have been Mlated 100% accurate I am pleased to say,since using Mlat the sky have come alive with aircraft around my location that I know are out there but previously not been able to see on screen or in the sky,I understand that not all aircraft can be Mlated but since using it the hobby has become even more addictive.

DaveG

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
MLAT feature will be released by us, do not worry, the details are deliberately kept quiet and not passed on to anyone outside AirNav (including beta testers) as this is sensitive information and has a competitive disadvantage if released too early.

Although this sounds good, I do not understand how it can be classed as "sensitive information and has a competitive disadvantage"  All other Virtual Radars are already capable Mlat, and the only main interface PlanePlotter supports it, so as I said unsure how sensitive it needs to be.

Unless of course you (Airnav) are thinking of doing Mlat within the AirNav Radarbox software and on the Radarbox network only with blocks in place so it can't be used outside the network.  If this is the case, bad direction, or at least for Radarbox users.  Mlat benefits greatly from "more" ground station around the better.
Cornwall, UK

DaveG

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
I was simply suggesting an alternative for those that are impatient for an imminent delivery of MLAT.  €12 (plus VAT) will buy you MLAT (PP) for a year.

That only gets you to see what other Mlat ground stations are providing, does not give your location the ability to Mlat contacts
Cornwall, UK

lambertw

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »
Seems to me that we ANRB users are left behind when it comes to MLAT.

Runway 31

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »
I wouldnt think we are any more left behind than users of any other system as they all rely on Planeplotter at this time to show non-plotters.  Also no matter what system you use if there are not enough data contributors MLAT does not work.

Alan

bratters

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
I would have thought that in the UK at least (a bit selfish I know!) there are sufficient RB users to satisfy the requirements of an Airnav specific MLAT system.
Certainly I would prefer an all Airnav system if it were feasible as I prefer the simplicity and presentation of the Airnav product - despite all my moaning about the various shortcomings  :)

It would be nice if things could be speeded up a bit though.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
I would like to see two things:

1. An Airnav specific MLAT system, where the MLAT calculations are all carried out on a central server, with the MLAT'ed aircraft positions distributed across the Airnav network.

2. A change to Radarbox to access the OLE/COM interface from Planeplotter to extract MLAT'ed aircaft and integrate them into the Radarbox aircraft lists and maps.  We can already view MLAT'ed aircraft from Planeplotter in Radarbox 3D (using the KLM interface), it would be nice to be able to view them in 2D as well.

This use of the OLE/COM interface is already proven in ShipTrax, where I can use my sp2trax program to view ShipPlotter networked ships in ShipTrax.  We need the same facility in Radarbox so that Radarbox users have the benefits of BOTH networks, along with the MLAT'ed aircraft.

satcom

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
Option 1

I thought the idea was that AirNav were developing thier own Mlat !!

Option 2

Against COAA policy as defined in the EULA
No Mlat or shared  plots to be broadcast/re networked outside of the PlanePlotter network.

Users found to be attempting to re network the data would of course be switched off immediately [ it would be pretty obvious within minutes what was happening ]

Anyway , with AirNavs own Mlat system about to be rolled out , option 2 won't be needed.  :O)

DaveG

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
Don't you think the "best" solution is to have RB abile to provide RAW data in the format that a Mlat can work, and have it output to RB Local, RB Network or any third party software (such as currently PP).

The biggest benefit would be all capable boxes outputting RAW Mlat data to any software, thus providing the widest coverage.

As reading Tarbat's post above, you seem to wish to have everything but give nothing, in option 2, or have I read that wrong ! 
Cornwall, UK