anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alerts  (Read 7052 times)

Evanelpus

Alerts
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
I'm sure I saw something about this recently.

Normally, when I switch my radarbox on, there must be about 30 alerts waiting for me.  For the last copule of nights there have been 2.  I've checked an I have F-HBN* as an alert.  It wasn't one of the two I did get but it was in the network but didn't come up as an alert.

Is there (still) a problem with alerts?

Evanelpus

Re: Alerts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
Below I have listed my alerts and what is currently showing on the network. 

EI-EN*    9
EI-EP*    4
G-EZG*  5
G-EZU*  4
F-HBN*   0 (must have gone off network from my original post)
HA-LW*  3

So, out of 25 potential alerts, only two showed.

Any clues?

Evanelpus

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
No suggestions as to why this is happening?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »
Normally, when I switch my radarbox on, there must be about 30 alerts waiting for me.

I don't understand how alerts can be waiting for you if the radarbox is turned off.

Do you have "Activate Alerts for Network Flights" ticked on the alerts tab?  Maybe post a screenshot of your alerts tab.

chewycanes

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Hi
I identified a change to Airnav for the next version to allow some kind of variable timeout to be incorporated.

Currently if you get an alert for an aircraft you will not get an alert for the same aircraft unless you power down the box or i think 24 hours have elapsed.

So when i get an alert for an aircraft landing say at gatwick i don't get one for it taking off say two hours later.

Brian

bearcat

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
No need to power down just clear the list of  alerts made

chewycanes

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
Hi bearcat
Can't swear to it but when this occurred a while ago clearing the alerts did not resolve the problem.

Have not tried it recently as i decided i would wait until it comes out in the next issue.

Brian

Evanelpus

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Normally, when I switch my radarbox on, there must be about 30 alerts waiting for me.

I don't understand how alerts can be waiting for you if the radarbox is turned off.

Do you have "Activate Alerts for Network Flights" ticked on the alerts tab?  Maybe post a screenshot of your alerts tab.

The scenario is this.  I switch on my PC and fire up the RB.  When I get to the screen that asks you to select start I do.  The Radar screen comes up and in the bottom right hand corner the alert box goes from 1 to however many alerts there are, sometimes up to as many as 30.  With the sound activated it sounds like a machine gun.

I've never had to clear alerts before, the list has always been there and added to and it's never been a problem until now.  My box goes on in the evening for about 2-3 hours and is then switched off until I want to use it again.

In answer to Tarbats question, 'Yes' and I can't understand why there are waiting for me either.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
We don't really suggest the alerts to be used that way. The alert system is perfectly happy alerting you to aircraft over a period of time however getting a burst of alert will at times lead to issues especially when alerting to network aircraft as you may get alerted to a large amount of flights all at once.

The alert system was made in the thinking customers would be wanted to alerted to a few aircraft only.

However what we found is that customers were using it for much more, in fact some customers use the alerts for all aircraft they receive. We have noted down some of the suggestions customers have asked for, however some are specific to customers only but we will do our best to provide something more custom based and robust to mass alerts in the next version.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

chewycanes

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
Hi
For you to get a sudden surge of alerts when you power-up must mean the AN box has picked up all those a/c when you powered-up.

They are not waiting for you its just you have so many a/c either locally or on the network (if enabled) that meet your criteria at power-up.

For some a/c not being logged i don't know Sorry....

Brian

Brian

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
Given that your alerts appear to be setup to look at particular airlines/fleets, you may be better off using the Fleet Watch feature in Radarbox (under the SmartView tab).  It's what I use to keep a specific eye on particular airlines, using wild-card entries for:
EZY*
LOG*
G-SAS*
G-CH*
X*
Z*

Evanelpus

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Given that your alerts appear to be setup to look at particular airlines/fleets, you may be better off using the Fleet Watch feature in Radarbox (under the SmartView tab).  It's what I use to keep a specific eye on particular airlines, using wild-card entries for:
EZY*
LOG*
G-SAS*
G-CH*
X*
Z*

Am I being thick here (if I am, tell me) but isn't that what I am doing already.  Going along your G-SAS* and G-CH* suggestion, all my alerts are based on that basis.

Are Air Nav Dev telling me then, that because I only use my system every now and again, alerts aren't for me?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
No Evanelplus.

It depends what you want to use the alerts for. Alerts are usually used to notify someone when there RB is running that for example a A380 is nearby.

If as Tarbats suggest your viewing a large amount of aircraft then you can use the Smartview tab and take a quick look at that too see which of those aircraft are listed. You won't get any alerts popping up but large amount of aircrafts can be tracked that way.

It basically comes down to do you actually want to be alerted as such or a quick view of the aircraft you are most interested in. If its the latter use the smart view tab. I am not sure whether you want a flurry of popups and sounds every time you start RadarBox, you just want to be able to quickly view are those aircraft on the network/local and where are they?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
Am I being thick here (if I am, tell me) but isn't that what I am doing already.  Going along your G-SAS* and G-CH* suggestion, all my alerts are based on that basis.

The difference is I'm not using ALERTS, instead I use the FLEET WATCH function under the SmartView tab.

I use ALERTS to alert on very specific criteria, only expecting a small number of alerts each day.  I use the FLEET WATCH to let me quickly see aircraft of particular airlines/organisations.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:57:34 PM by tarbat »

Evanelpus

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
That makes sense Tarbat.

Will try out later tonight.