anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recording ATC  (Read 11664 times)

estcan5

Recording ATC
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question like this: I use my scanner sometimes for ACARS (connected to the PC), and sometimes I listen to the ATC. I came to a idea that I could also record it (ATC), so that if I miss something interesting, I could listen to it again. Planned, accomplished. But the problem is, that when it is connected to PC for recording, I can´t listen to it directly any more. So, is there any possibility to direct the signal, that is inputted to the PC, to be outputted again, to the computers audio output?

Regards,
estcan5

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Recording ATC
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
If its connected by the line in, you should be able to listen to it directly and record it.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

estcan5

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »
No, because first of all, once I connect the cable to the scanner, the device´s speaker is muted. And there is only one audio output on the scanner.
Secondly, the audio recording programs I tryed to use didn´t output the recorded audio directly to the computers speakers, so I could only listen to it afterwards.

estcan5

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
Scanner Recorder is a great application for recording ATC! You should still be able to hear the audio through your computer's speakers while using it. And ... it's FREE!

http://www.davee.com/scanrec/
KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

estcan5

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
I checked out the Scanner Recorder, but it looks like the real-time listening feature is only on the Pro variant, which is not free.

estcan5

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
I use a miniature speech recorder in front of the scanner speaker. I set it to switch on whenever a signal is received on the scanner.
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »
Scanner Recorder will record anything coming out of your PC. You don't need the pro version. I've used it for years.  Give it a try!

estcan5

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
Scanner Recorder will record anything coming out of your PC. You don't need the pro version. I've used it for years.  Give it a try!

But there´s little point in recording without being able to listen, so I probably buy the Pro version.

estcan5

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
You CAN listen while it is recording ... no problem at all!  It records the PC audio which is coming out of the PC speakers.  If you mute the speakers, it still records and the levels are not affected.

Please note that I use Scanner Recorder on Windows XP machines.  If I get some time today, I will try it on Windows 7.

You will lose nothing by trying it.

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
OK ... just loaded Scanner Recorder on Windows 7.  Records just great!  You have to make sure Windows 7 is set to play the line input for listening while recording, but that's it.

I highly recommend it.  If you have any questions ... please let me know!

Jim

estcan5

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
You CAN listen while it is recording ... no problem at all!  It records the PC audio which is coming out of the PC speakers.  If you mute the speakers, it still records and the levels are not affected.

Please note that I use Scanner Recorder on Windows XP machines.  If I get some time today, I will try it on Windows 7.

You will lose nothing by trying it.

OK, Jim but I need some advice. How can I set the computer to send the input to the speakers (I have Windows XP)? Thanks.

estcan5

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
Here's what I do ...

Double-click the SPEAKER icon in the tray at the bottom. A VOLUME CONTROL window should open.

Check to see if there is a LINE IN slider displayed.

Select OPTIONS then PROPERTIES. The PROPERTIES window should open. By default it will show options for PLAYBACK.  Make sure there is a checkmark in the LINE IN box and click OK.  You should now see the LINE IN slider/volume control. The MUTE box should NOT be checked.  Set the volume level to your preference.

Again, select OPTIONS then PROPERTIES.  Click the RECORDING button.  The RECORDING options will be displayed.  Make sure there is a checkmark in the LINE IN box and click OK.  You should now see the LINE IN slider/volume control on the RECORDING CONTROLS window.  Place a checkmark in the SELECT box.  The level you select here will determine the recording level in Scanner Recorder.

NOTE:  For both the PLAYBACK and RECORDING windows, the MIXER DEVICE should be your soundcard.  That's usually set by default, but check to be sure.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Close the window

estcan5

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 07:52:49 PM »
Thanks, Jim! That really helped a lot!

estcan5

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »
You're welcome!  Glad I could be of assistance!