anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flight no / Callsign  (Read 6076 times)

paulmarshall36

Flight no / Callsign
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:02:36 PM »
Hi all,

Is there any way I can tie in a flight number with a callsign. For example - Ryanair have a flight number but when its in the air the callsign is something different. Very difficult to track a flight.

Thanks
Paul

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Flight no / Callsign
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

One way to see the tie-ups is to use Airframes.org (http://www.airframes.org/airlines/) and enter either the first three letters of the Flight ID (the ICAO code) to look up the callsign. Or you can enter the callsign in the Name box and see the airline code.

Hope that helps

Rod
Rod

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:56:14 PM »
I think Paul is actually referring to the distinction between the Flight ID/radio callsign on one hand (which for Ryanair, and many other European airlines, is often an alphanumeric ID) and the flight number shown on tickets, airport departure boards, etc, which is usually just a number and may bear no relation at all to the callsign.

For example RYR42AQ (Bristol to Dublin) = FR509

Paul, if you do a forum search on "alphanumeric" you will see that this topic has been widely debated, but with no conclusive solution so far.

We're told that the network is running a process that ties the alphanumeric Flight ID to an arrival and/or departure airport (from which it is then fairly easy to work out the ticketed flight number), but I've yet to see any evidence that this process is producing results, or even a full explanation of how it is meant to work.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

paulmarshall36

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes Dave that was what I meant. Wasn't sure if it was me being stupid not being able to tie these two numbers in. Very frustrating when trying to track a flight when the numbers don't tally

thanks again
Paul