anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network traffic suspended after a year  (Read 22098 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Network traffic suspended after a year
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
It's the age-old inertia selling/opt-in/opt-out principle - make it more hassle for people to do what you don't want them to do (untick the box) than to do what you do want (leave it ticked).

There's really very little to add to this debate that hasn't been said before.  Personally, I can live with unticking the box each time I start up RadarBox - I'm paying for the network, so as far as I'm concerned I don't owe AirNav anything in return.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

bratters

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
I assumed that Network users enjoyed a symbiotic relationship in so far as if nobody puts in, then nobody takes out.
For myself, on or off is pretty small beer and if my info. gives someone some pleasure (or even a shekel or two), you're welcome.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
I`m happy to share my info, mortgage repayments, utility bills.....
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

eggplant

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
And whilst we are on the subject why does the ANRB sw default to sharing ? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall Airnav giving any reason or justification as to why this forced functionality is in place.

Why not search for the answer then?  To quote a previous reply from Airnav:

"Just to put it to bed we will not be changing the way the tick box works for shared data. Why? There are people will who will cause scare mongering for whatever reason to have the share data switched off (for no good reason) and hence yes it will cause a bad affect to the network. As they will continue to leave it off."

Personally I wouldn't call that statement a reason or justification at all. Is that the best Airnav could offer ??
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »
Resistible force meets immovable object :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

air7677

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
And whilst we are on the subject why does the ANRB sw default to sharing ? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall Airnav giving any reason or justification as to why this forced functionality is in place.

"Just to put it to bed we will not be changing the way the tick box works for shared data. Why? There are people will who will cause scare mongering for whatever reason to have the share data switched off (for no good reason) and hence yes it will cause a bad affect to the network. As they will continue to leave it off."

Personally I wouldn't call that statement a reason or justification at all. Is that the best Airnav could offer ??

eggplant.
If your happy about sharing be happy, if your not switch it off and be happy
lets all be happy.
S.F

eggplant

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »

eggplant.
If your happy about sharing be happy, if your not switch it off and be happy
lets all be happy.
S.F

Interesting comment. FYI, I am happy.

Not sure what that has to do with my simple enquiry though.....
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

eggplant

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »
Resistible force meets immovable object :-)

I think that probably sums it up very well Dave !

RobinB

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »
Other one should be applied - Customer is KING.

jannuh

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
Other one should be applied - Customer is KING.
You can say that in general, but not in one breath with AirNav!

I never shared my data with A.N., for me this discussion is never closed, although A.N. would like to ofcourse!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
Harsh comment Jannuh and we think that's unfair on us.

We do listen and take on customer concerns but we do have to weigh that up with our business. If we followed "customer is king" to the book we would be selling items for last than half price and be bankrupt.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
It's also worth remembering that you get all the following update services from the Airnav servers for FREE:
1. Aircraft registrations details.
2. Aircraft photos.
3. Routes.
4. Weather METAR/TAF and QNH.

Maybe people would rather Airnav start charging for these as well (like GAS does with £25 per year for Active Display).  I'm happy that these are all free, and the network is an optional extra charge.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:23:58 PM by tarbat »

RobinB

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
Fair point tarbat.

Though I think its the scale and frequency of the charge for network that is a problem.

If it was a one off like PP it would bring a lot of people back into the network.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »
If it was a one off like PP it would bring a lot of people back into the network.

Agreed, but would that be a viable business model in the long term?  Without a regular income stream, how would Airnav pay the monthly server costs, bandwidth, etc.

And remember, whilst PP is a one-off fee, that doesn't actually buy you the sharing service, note the COAA disclaimer that "The Internet sharing and multilateration features are to be regarded as experimental and may be withdrawn at any time."  You could pay €25 for PP now, and find the sharing service removed the next day.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
The difference is that if you provide raw data to PP you pay zilch for the network.

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk