anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unreliable Alerts and Aircraft Not Displaying On The Map  (Read 5829 times)

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
Unreliable Alerts and Aircraft Not Displaying On The Map
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
hello

We have been suffering from these problems but haven't said much about it since I thought it might be cured in the next version of the software but it seems to be taking longer to come out than I thought.

The first problem is the alerts are highly unreliable - only working 50 - 70% of the time (unscientific estimate by our manual observations) . I know there are port 30003 addons but  obviously they cant give alerts for network traffic and I dont really want to have to use yet another program.

The next problem is that some  aircraft take up to 5 minutes to show on the map although they are transmitting positions and some do show up immediately  (see the attached screenshot. We have no filters set that could cause this.

Anybody else experienced this and are airnav aware?

Andrew

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Unreliable Alerts and Aircraft Not Displaying On The Map
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
On the alerts, do you have the "Activate Alerts for Network Flights" ticked?  If you don't, then if the aircraft FIRST appears on the network and NOT on you local box, the alert will not work when the aircraft transitions from network to local.

orkney

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
Hello Tarbat

I do have that ticked. I cant find it following a pattern either-its not just certain planes that do it or don't as the case is.

Andrew

Chris11

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
I have found an interesting phenomena. Sometimes I get an alert and an aircraft showing on the list but not on the map. If I click the 3DView and then after a few seconds Map View then the aircraft appears immediately when the map is reloaded.
Alternatively just open a new map. It looks like the generation of the map also "activates" the aircraft display
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:21:24 PM by Chris11 »

Zillie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
I can confirm that certain aircraft are not shown on the map. Basically i have "ADS-B Only" activated, so all aircraft in my list have full details. However, when i click one, sometimes it just does not show on the map and also the button for tracking shows no visible effect on the map. Same happens with certain aircraft when i try to follow them with "Cockpitview" in the 3D programm. The usual feedback does not appear on the screen and no requester for exiting the cockpitview is visible then.
I assume, this has something to do with my post http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5076.0 from June 11th. which i also posted to Airnav Support. I am waiting for the promished patch. (2 to 4 weeks from June 18th), so it should be there any moment now.

Harry

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
Does this only occur in the 3D version?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

orkney

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:32:48 AM »
hello

This happens in the 2D version (see the screen shot in the first post). This aircraft was actually never shown on the map although most do show up in the end and the position was changing in the list.

Also Airnav what is your opinion on the alerts.

Andrew

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »
Alerts:

Regarding Alerts, we do understand that in certain high load circumstances alerts are being lost. If you switch off the network alerts, do your local alerts work fine? Also how many alerts have you put in place?

Aircraft not Appearing:

Once these aircraft appear with globes in your List, if you double click them does the map centre on the correct area to where the aircraft should be (I know that may be hard to work out). This could be related to a graphics issue.

TCP Port:

Zillie, just to clarify we didn't say a patch would be released, we said in the email to you that we would investigate and if an issue is found we would release a patch. The TCP port is used heavily in a few applications and we haven't been able to replicate what your seeing. If you contact us via a support ticket we can try and gather further information and come to the bottom of what your seeing.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

orkney

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
hello

Thank you for your reply. We have alerts set for squawk 7700, 7600,7500,0023 and a range alert of 35nm. I know you probably think the large radius will cause numerous alerts but in actual fact we get  an average of 5-10 that should show an alert per day in this area but only around 3-7 actually do give an alert.

Double clicking does nothing (apart from making radarbox stop responding for around 10 seconds) when showing the globe unless it is actually on the map. (just tested again 9.20bst with EZY14PW (G-EZKF) at 9000' departing Aberdeen)

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:25:39 AM by orkney »

orkney

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »
hello

No more ideas or is it just something we will have to put up with.

Andrew

carras320

• My Airliners.net Pictures
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »
The same problem happens to my alerts, but I don´t have the alerts network ticked. Also some aircraft appears going backwards.

I have set alerts for some certains of aircraft, airlines and for squawk codes 7700, 7500, 7600 etc and sometimes works ok and sometimes not.

I´m running RadarBox 2010 3.13

Regards

orkney

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
hello

In case you are interested I think I have managed to improve both problems by reducing the tail lines to 30 seconds.

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:33:00 PM by orkney »

orkney

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »
Hello

I now think I have completely cured the aircraft not showing by going to the map menu and opening default.ml3 instead of just clicking on the map view tab in 4.03.

Andrew

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
Had BMI Baby flight from EGDG to EGCC overhead but no alert.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

harvey

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
Hello,

My radarbox has the same problem since a longer time.

My home position is just e few kilometers from the airport and most the time i run the box in" split-view" - mode.
When planes take off at the airport they immediately appear on the interface and on the google 3D map. In contrast to that, it sometimes takes up to about 4 minutes to appear on the 2D radar map.
Thats a pity, because the map is my preferred view. Gets me more clear information at a glance.

@orkney : Thanks for your tips. In the beginning the " trail-line-hint" seemed to work, but meanwhile it doesn`t. About your other tip im not shure what to do. Open the map by "Map" - " open" - " new 2D map" ?
i`ll try out and report.

Greetings from Germany

harvey