AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aerial Height  (Read 6370 times)

catman

Aerial Height
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
I've got my aerial on my chimney at the moment about 25ft off the ground approximately and i'm picking up round about 255 planes on average, i'm thinking of raising it another meter in the air, reckon this would help improve the coverage of the planes a lot more or only slightly? At the moment I can pick up planes in france and on the fringes of wales so I am getting a good coverage I am just wondering if anyone would agree that the benefits would be worth the effort.

And finally would anyone know if this would mean I could pick up airport planes at a lower altitude than normal?

Many thanks,
catman

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
Re: Aerial Height
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
It is probable that raising the antenna will improve reception. However, it is heavily dependent upon your location and the surrounding topography. You can use this web site to illustrate what may be in your way between your home address and your local airport.

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/

jannuh

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:20 AM »
I've got my aerial on my chimney at the moment about 25ft off the ground approximately and i'm picking up round about 255 planes on average,
What time-out settings you have?

catman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
My flight set 10 and 25

jannuh

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
Thanks for the info.

As you can see in a lot of topics on this board it is a question of coax length and height.

Maybe possible to keep same coax length and bring the RB nearer to the antenna, RB in top of loft is an idea.

You can use USB extenders or a USB Server (this is a usb to tcp/ip interface)

catman

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »
jannuh  thanks for your help.I do get a good range from my RB like london city, i see down to runway level.   thanks catman