anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox feed  (Read 10130 times)

Peter

Radarbox feed
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:01:33 AM »
I understand that the feed to the Radarbox will be via the USB leads only. If you were using it in the car using a laptop computer, then you would not have very long spotting before the laptop battery went flat. Is there any facility for using the 12V cigar lighter socket please, your stay on site would then only be governed by the laptop capacity, 2 - 3 hours in my case. The SBS-1 is now becoming more attractive for this task as it now uses a 12V supply.

Peter

b744

Re: Radarbox feed
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »
why not plug in the laptop and have even longer ?? thats what I do with the sbs and power it just via the laptop.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:04:08 AM »
That is correct. Power the laptop from the car and RadarBox from the laptop. Quite simple. That's what we do too!

Peter

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:57 AM »
Thanks for your replies. My local computer shop advised an inverter of sufficient quality and capacity to drive the laptop and quoted around £100.00 + VAT. I will see what Maplin say next time I am near their local branch, there must be a cheaper option than that!

Regards

Peter

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:59:13 PM »
That a bit much. You can get a in car laptop battery charger and swap that round when one battery is getting low. Otherwise there are other products from maplins which can keep you laptop going for 4-5 hours which cost less than £90.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Peter

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:06:02 PM »
In fact I have now found 2 suitable products @ Maplin, the most expensive is about 1/4 of the price the "expert" @ my local computer shop was quoting! I'll pick that up within the next few days which means that I will technically be able to operate the RadarBox away from home. I'll keep watching the Forum for a few days to see user reaction when the 1st boxes start to arrive, and if all seems OK, I will take the plunge!

Thanks

Peter

PapaIndia

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 09:55:13 PM »
I bought a Maplin 12v Laptop supply adapter last year. came with various plugs to fit different laptops. There are two models, Mine is the higher 6 Amp version, and on sale was about £15. had running for hours with my receiver powered off the USB.

Note have to watch for car battery drainage!