anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Database Spring Clean  (Read 24578 times)

9M-ISJ

Database Spring Clean
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
Hi,

I have 25 and a half thousand records in my Mylog, and quite a few fail to populate when I run the routine, but I have managed to find aircraft data from elsewhere.

Also I have loads of records in there which need aircraft types changed (currently blank or showing either null or ....)

Plus I have a few 'sore thumbs' such as the new Lufthansa Airbuses showing up as A300s and or 727!

What is the groups feeling concerning a third party app for working with the data (I have too much to do to use the inprogram database editor working cell by cell). I would rather go offline for an hour or so each evening and work in a more friendly (and quicker) application.

I have no knowledge what-so-ever of SQL so would like something simple

Thanks
Paul

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Database Spring Clean
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
My strategy is to maintain my Navdata database using SBS-Populate - using GAS data.

Then once a month, I delete all the aircraft data from the MyLog database, just leaving the ModeS hex code.  Then I generate data from the Navdata aircraft table to import into the MyLog aircraft table.  All using SQLite Maestro.

Blincodave

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
A third party solution where db updates can be downloaded on a regular basis must be the way to go. A few weeks ago AirNav were promising us news on this front in another thread.

I know ADU are about to launch a Radarbox utility and Aerodata already have one.

I presume and hope Airnav are in discussion with 3rd parties!

Dave

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
A third party solution where db updates can be downloaded on a regular basis must be the way to go. A few weeks ago AirNav were promising us news on this front in another thread.

I know ADU are about to launch a Radarbox utility and Aerodata already have one.

I presume and hope Airnav are in discussion with 3rd parties!

I wouldn't be so sure - it all seems to have gone very quiet on this subject, and as you say the supposedly imminent announcement of a fix has yet to materialise.

This should be a no-brainer  - every time RadarBox picks up a hex code, it queries the AirNav server for aircraft details and photos (unless you have disabled that option). 

Among the advertised RadarBox features is an "accurate aircraft database", so it would seem not unreasonable that RadarBox should display what you're actually picking up rather than claiming it's an aircraft, like the examples above, that any self-respecting enthusiast will tell you has been long since scrapped.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

ACW367

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »
The reason the long since deceased 727s populate is because there are no photos of the new A320s ecetera in Airliners.net.

I have to be fair to Airnav and say that they have provided the system that gets it right 99% of the time because there is currently no system available from anyone that allows for 100% accuracy, because no-one can has a system to discriminate photos for miscodes where two aircraft use exactly the same code, that is for the air traffic authorities to request that the offending airliner fixes the problem.  All any mode_s logger like airnav can do is note the anomaly.  When two aircraft have used the same registration but there are no photos on the web of the newly registered aircraft there is also not much that can be done by anyone except to accept the old picture and manually update the surrounding info.  You cannot have a system that blocks the photo download until you know that a photo of the new aircraft exists!! 

For the known fleets of registration reuse, Qantas A333, German A319 & A320, just accept the 727/B741 picture, manually copy over the correct details from airframes, this will ensure that the correct details then go into mylog. Then a month or so after new aircraft delivery, check back to Airliners.net to see if a picture of the new airframe has been uploaded.  Once a photo is there simply delete the photo of the retired airframe from the photo folder in windows explorer explorer, delete the details from one field in mylog, then do a mylog populate to trigger a search for a new photo which will be of the new airframe with the correct details.

Blincodave

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
I wonder how many users actually utilise the photograph facility anyway? I have it disabled and, frankly can't see the point unless you wanted a photo confirmation of an aircraft that you can only see poorly in the sky.

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
I wonder how many users actually utilise the photograph facility anyway? I have it disabled and, frankly can't see the point unless you wanted a photo confirmation of an aircraft that you can only see poorly in the sky.

Hi
Frankly I find the photo facility very interesting and going by a lot of the screenshots people show most people have it turned on.

Andrew

Blincodave

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Fair enough Andrew. But I do find it very frustrating that such a good product has a db that can be updated by only one of the following:

1. Manual updating - I simply don't have the time or the inclination.
2. Leaving your radarbox on for long stretches to let GAS do its work, but then if you are abroad and use it, you find yourself with unmatched HEX codes because you are away from your normal 'patch'.
3. Subscribe to Aerodata and let their software do it for you in real time.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:03:07 PM by Blincodave »

9M-ISJ

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the input - I wasnt RB bashing, I love it and I fully understand why the errors creap in.

I just want a way to sort things out.

I shall have a look at the solution given in the first reply.

Thanks
Paul

9M-ISJ

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
OK,,, fell at the first hurdle with both tasks... The GAS Populate thing, I couldnt work out how to get it to see my data, and then I have no clue at all how to open up anything in SQL Maestro!

Feeling rather thick at the moment

eggplant

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:13:51 PM »
Rest assured I have the same frustrations, so we must both be thick.
Cheers !
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:57:39 AM by tarbat »

dudbaker

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:14:19 AM »
Hi

What I find is that my amendments, to Mylog, are lost next time the aircraft is detected.  Even removing data and leaving an empty box.

Dudley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:16:04 AM by dudbaker »
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »
The changes you make to MyLog will NOT affect what you see in MyFlights or Network aircraft list.  This data comes from the NavData.db3 database ant NOT MyLog.db3

The MyLog database is populated from the data that is in NavData when the aircraft is detected and in written to MyLog.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
For the known fleets of registration reuse, Qantas A333, German A319 & A320, just accept the 727/B741 picture, manually copy over the correct details from airframes, this will ensure that the correct details then go into mylog. Then a month or so after new aircraft delivery, check back to Airliners.net to see if a picture of the new airframe has been uploaded.  Once a photo is there simply delete the photo of the retired airframe from the photo folder in windows explorer explorer, delete the details from one field in mylog, then do a mylog populate to trigger a search for a new photo which will be of the new airframe with the correct details.

That sounds very complicated, and also completely unnecessary.

It's perfectly feasible to validate whether a photo and aircraft details from airliners.net represents the aircraft in question or a previous use of the same registration.  It's not rocket science.

AirNav are well aware of that - they have simply chosen, to date, not to implement any such validation.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour