AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'Evening, all  (Read 11981 times)

Deadcalm

'Evening, all
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
Hello all, just joined the forum as a recently retired NATS employee, now resident in France and missing the kites!

So, am dithering around looking at the merits of the two competing systems currently available, and am probably in favour of Radarbox.

Any thoughts on the optimum setup?  I'm currently living in south west-ish France at an altitude of about 450 metres, with excellent 360 degree views - I noticed in excess of 15 contrails at once today at the intersection of two adjacent airways, so can't wait to get my hands on a box.

Would I need a pre-amp for an external antenna, and is the Radarbox available with a suitable external twig with connectors and 20 metres or so of coaxial cable?  It would help to be able to purchase the whole shebang from one supplier.

Thanks for any forthcoming advice.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

doro

Re: 'Evening, all
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »
Don't use a pre-amp, a GP-1090 Outdoor antenna for 1090MHz will be fine.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »
Our Dealers have extra antenna kits. Have a look through them.

We advise though that to get the best range you should purchase a mast head amp such as the ELAD A12-1090.

Hope that helps.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

flightchecker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »
Hello DC

an altitude of 450 meters and a 360° view. WOW !!! Wish I had that. A "wet finger" will probably do as an antenna for RB as well as for SBS-1. I'm joking of course.
I would NOT make use of a pre-amp. Even the "naked" antennas as they come with the receivers will be fine, as far as they are allowed a "free look" that is not  hindered by obstacles, trees buildings etc.

Karl

Deadcalm

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
Thanks for the comments - bit of a quandary, 2 users say no pre-amp, manufacturer says pre-amp.  I will probably start without and see how I get on.
My other question remains open - can I get the RadarBox and additional antenna hardware from one source?  This would save on postage and make shipping to France that much simpler...

Thanks

DC

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
Best to see what results you get first. If you want more get the antenna and mast head amp as mentioned.

At the moment we are hoping to include an antenna kit on our site within a few weeks.
[email protected]

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
Whatever set-up you finally decide on, one thing is certain the coverage will be hard pushed to get further than 250 miles due to earths curvature etc. I have my aerial (BS1100) in my loft and can get over 200 miles in some directions and only 90 in one due to my chimney breast. If I could get it on the roof, without pre-amp I would probably have a clean sweep.  Just one thing puts me off a preamp - a Lightning strike could be very expensive, werase by just disconnecting an aerial the cost might not be so great :-)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »
An elevation of 450m should equate to almost a 50nm increase in maximum range compared to range at ground level, so for high-flying targets you will probably pick them up at approaching 300nm.

Dave 
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Deadcalm

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »
Sounds just the job!  I can eyeball high level traffic at a considerable distance from here, so should have no problems with reception.

Airnav Support, I shall await with impatience the availability of your RadarBox/antenna bundle, and will order when it's announced (assuming shipment to France is not a problem...)

DC

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »
flightchecker - not sure why you have repeated the same question.

We hope to have an antenna kit soon, hence you can order both from us. Shipping to France is not a problem.
[email protected]

flightchecker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
My mistake, sorry for that.

I just wanted to mention that we do have  www.wimo.de as an official AirNav dealer who could deliver RB plus Antenna (GP1090 for instance and suited for RB operation) including low loss cable, connectors etc.etc. and finally, if "requested" a "mast preamp." too. Delivery into france not a problem of course.

Regards

Karl

Deadcalm

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »
Thanks AirNav Support, Flightchecker, et al.  All taken on board, and will be purchasing shortly, from somewhere!

DC

piper-pilot

• CHRIS @ ML&S
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
To Pre Amp or not

A pre amp will help considerably with close in weak signals I will post a picture from the shop with and without Pre AMp tommorrow. The range does not alter much but the close traffic does.

Regards

Chris @ ML&S
CHRIS @ ML&S

Deadcalm

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »
Well, the deed is done.  I've just ordered the RadarBox, antenna, pre-amp, etc. from Wimo.  Sorry, Airnav (but it's still YOUR product !).  I decided I couldn't wait, and anyway I quite liked the look of the GP-1090 antenna, plus the fact that it has a fibreglass shroud, which may or may not make it a less attractive proposition to the demon lightning (of which we get plenty around these parts in the summer months!). I use a Boltek lightning detector, so I can see thundery activity coming from a range of 300 miles, when I shall rush around disconnecting everything!

I've found an ideal location for the antenna, at the pitch of the roof.  I shall take my life in my hands fitting the bracket(s) because it is a LONG way up...

So I hope to become a member of the observing fraternity toute suite.

DC

flightchecker

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »
Sounds good DC,
take care when "freeclimbing", keep the "fraternity" informed on how things develop "toute suite".

Regards to my "neighbour",

Karl

P.S.: Im located close to EDDK / Cologne Bonn airport. My "sighting" is best southwest, and aircraft show up to about 220 NM, almost in the vicinity of Paris, provided "highflyers". Wimo's GP1090 is doing fine, though no preamp involved.

K.