anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: User-generated GE Models  (Read 3103 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
User-generated GE Models
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
Airnav, are there any plans to release guidelines for end users who want to create their own paint-schemes for the aircraft in 3D?  For example, I've just seen an Aer Lingus Airbus A321 aircraft, and I wouldn't mind having a go at creating a new paint scheme for it.

I'm guessing its just a matter of creating a "texture.png" in the A321/EIN folder?

Might open up a whole new area of interest for end-users creating paint-schemes.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: User-generated GE Models
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Our 3D developers will answer directly here in a few hours: I've just asked them to do so.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
Airnav, are there any plans to release guidelines for end users who want to create their own paint-schemes for the aircraft in 3D?  For example, I've just seen an Aer Lingus Airbus A321 aircraft, and I wouldn't mind having a go at creating a new paint scheme for it.

I'm guessing its just a matter of creating a "texture.png" in the A321/EIN folder?

Might open up a whole new area of interest for end-users creating paint-schemes.

Hi Tarbat,

You are correct. The way the application works is by searching for a livery the following way:
<app path>/GE_Models/<AircraftType>/<AirlineCode>/texture.png.

So the new texture you are referring to should be:
<app path>/GE_Models/A321/EIN/texture.png

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »
Thanks.  I'll have a go at doing a couple of textures tomorrow.  Does Radarbox need to be shut-down and restarted to find new textures?

I'm guessing that the same models and textures will be of use for FS Live Traffic 3?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:34:12 PM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
Just realised.  We don't have an airframe model for the Airbus A321, and I've got 99 of them in MyLog.

I guess you'll need to fire up 3DStudio and stretch the A320 model sometime ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:54:11 PM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »
If you can get the model in 3DS format with a texture map, I can convert it into the correct format for you. Then you can modify the texture map as needed. I will try to work up some kind of tutorial so you guys can do it yourself in the future (however we're pretty much busy working on getting it ready to launch right now). Hint: try looking into Google Sketch-up--it's very cool (and free for the non-pro version!).

I realise you're busy getting RB3D ready for launch, so don't expect an immediate answer.  But if you get time in the next few days, some clues on the file formats that RB3D expects would be useful.   Thanks.

I've managed to convert some aircraft models I've got into 3ds format, and imported these into Google Sketch-up.  Now wondering what format these need to be exported to for use in RB3D - current models have a .mod extension, and textures have .liv.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »

I realise you're busy getting RB3D ready for launch, so don't expect an immediate answer.  But if you get time in the next few days, some clues on the file formats that RB3D expects would be useful.   Thanks.

I've managed to convert some aircraft models I've got into 3ds format, and imported these into Google Sketch-up.  Now wondering what format these need to be exported to for use in RB3D - current models have a .mod extension, and textures have .liv.

The .mod and .liv are proprietary formats that we're using to ship with the application. The application will load user-created models in following format:

3D Model: .dae (collada format)
Texture: .png (livery)

If you want to override one of the default models/livery, you just put your *.dae and texture.png in the correct spot inside GE_Models and delete the .liv and .mod.

Hopefully that helps. Also, be sure your scale is correct (i.e. 1:1)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
Many thanks, exactly what I needed to know.

And yes, I've already realised the 1:1 scaling problem, having tried out the process by importing a FSX model (using the good old ModelConverterX program!!).

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:46:31 PM by tarbat »

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
Also, after you generate your .dae, you need to open it with a text editor (I use WordPad) and change one thing manually. Find where your model is calling your texturemap and change it to <type>/texture.png

Example:

<library_images>
        <image id="xxxx">
            <init_from>A320/texture.png</init_from>
        </image>
    </library_images>

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »
Thanks again.  I'll continue to experiment with the process.