AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help - saving settings on exit & wrong altitude  (Read 4045 times)

palace_ops

Help - saving settings on exit & wrong altitude
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
Hi everyone...apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't find an answer searching the historic posts).

Is there a way of making sure changes I have made are persistent on every start up RB (eg a registry setting change). In particular would like to stop having to set 'Share Flight Data' off, Map colours to my preferences, and load my preferred satellite layer every time I launch RB.  Any ideas...currently running v3.13.

On a completely unrelated note, how often do folks see aircraft displaying an altitude that is clearly wrong? I occassionally see helicopters saying they are at say 23,000ft then a few minutes later at the correct 2000ft alt. Any clue what's causing this error?

TIA, Steve.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Help - saving settings on exit & wrong altitude
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

Not quite sure why you would want to have Share Flight Data default to off, but that't your choice I guess.  I presume that you don't use the RadarBox Network data at all?

No way of having the satellite picture loading at startup as far as I'm aware, and this certainly isn't something that I'd use as I tend to move the map around a lot when I'm watching and zoom in and out to suit the traffic (and my mood!)

Regarding incorrect altitudes, I sometimes see these, but they usually settle down to a sensible figure after a few seconds.  I wonder if you are seeing this with aircraft that are at the limits of your cover?  Is it happening with particular airframes I wonder?

Regards

Allocator

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »
Hi Steve

Some answers:

Can you set sharing to permanently off - No - AirNav have decided against that.

Can you save colours - yes - once you have set them, click the Export button on the preferences tab and save the coour scheme as two files - Default.mcl AND Real Radar.mcl.

Can you set a default satellite layer - no,  but worth adding to the sggestions thread.

I think the changing altitudes are due to misreading by RB - perhaps receiving partial or reflected transmissions from the aircraft. I think there is some "smoothing" done by the software, but it's something I rarely see.

Hope that helps

Rod
Rod

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »

palace_ops

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
Thanks for the help guys....

I had (unsuccessfully) tried the Default.mcl AND Real Radar.mcl suggestion and it didn't work.....I then changed all the versions of these two .mcl files and it worked: I guess my registry must be pointing at an old directory (prob my original install of v2) and was picking up the old Default.mcl AND Real Radar.mcl files on startup. I used a new directory for installing v3.13 vs the original v2.

The 'seeing a/c at the edge of my coverage' and/or with reflections explanation would make sense...I usually see this for low level helicopters (where it's obvious the altitude is wrong), and just observed it again when I tracked a B206 at the corrcet altitude 3500ft, lost it for a few minutes, then it popped up again at 35000ft for a few seconds.

spanman

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
Merry Christmas to all at AirNav and the many contributors who have made my hobby even more enjoyable.
Big thanks especially to Rod and Allocator for all their hard work.
Cheers, Mark

Flybe Crew on the Dash 8 Q400  Embraer 175
and Embraer 195