AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which data can I see from mode-s?  (Read 35545 times)

axlman

Which data can I see from mode-s?
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »
Hi everybody.
I would like to know which data, exactly, can be received with AirNavRadar about aircrafts that don't have ADS-B but only mode-s.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Which data can I see from mode-s?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »
Hi everybody.
I would like to know which data, exactly, can be received with AirNavRadar about aircrafts that don't have ADS-B but only mode-s.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Take a look at the new RadarBox V1.4 manual which covers what you will see with and without ADS-B.  Although V1.4 is not yet released, the information in the new manual also applies to the current release version.  See pages 6 and 75.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=394.0

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:40:36 AM by Allocator »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
Mode-S aircraft show the following:

Mode-S , Aircraft Reg (Derived from Mode-S), Flight Number,  Altitude, Change in Altitude, Squawk, Speed.

Hope that helps.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

axlman

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
Take a look at the new RadarBox V1.4 manual which covers what you will see with and without ADS-B.

I read the manual and, see pag 5/7, it's written:

ADS-B Background
Putting it in a simple form, AirNav RadarBox consists of a hardware receiver that decodes ADS-B data and sends it to your computer where a software processes it and shows it on 3D interface

What Will I See?
The ADS-B equipment which generates the signals which are detected and displayed by RadarBox, are fitted to most modern airliners and cargo aircraft. ADS-B is not yet mandatory, but as airspace becomes even more crowded, much more use will be made of such modern technology to enhance flight safety. Aircraft with full ADS-B will show in the RadarBox aircraft list and on the map screen.

What will not show on RadarBox?
Older aircraft, or small light aircraft and helicopters might not be fitted with ADS-B equipment and so will not appear in the aircraft list or on the map screen.

so I understood that the AirNav could not detect aircrafts without ADS-B at all.

Mode-s does not give the position, so an aircraft with only mode-s does not appear on the map, OK.
But, excuse me for my slowness, does it appear in the aircraft list or not?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:03:41 PM by axlman »

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »
I can only answer from personal experience, so here are the sort of aircraft I have seen in the aircraft list, but not on the map:

- Some older Airliners - often propeller aircraft
- Military aircraft - mostly transports, but some fighter type aircraft and helicopters
- Air Ambulance helicopters
- Police helicopters
- Some Private light aircraft like C172, R44 helicopters etc

Aircraft I have not seen in the list or on the map:

- The majority of military fast-jet aircraft
- The majority of light aircraft and helicopters

If you are interested in airliners, then RadarBox is for you.

If you live near a small airfield with only light aircraft, then you almost certainly not see these in the list or on the map.

If you live near a Military base with fast-jet aircraft, these will probably not show in the list or on the map.

What type of aircraft are you interested in, and what do you hope to get from RadarBox - if you tell me that, then I can tell you how successful you will be. However, it isn't possible to say EXACTLY which aircraft you will pick up, but more and more aircraft are being fitted with full ADS-B every day.

See the screen capture below.  All these aircraft are in the Live list, but are not plotting on the map (shown by not having the "Globe" symbol).  Some of them will plot later, as often the position data appears after the aircraft appears in the list. You can see that there are all sorts of aircraft in the list.

All the best

Allocator

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:03:21 PM by Allocator »

CanadaKen

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »
I see F-15's pop up fairly regularly in a friends SBS-1 logs. Is this just from Mode-S data?

CK
Monitoring on Canada's "Left" coast

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:05:49 PM »
I see F-15's pop up fairly regularly in a friends SBS-1 logs. Is this just from Mode-S data?

CK

I guess so.  I get C17, KC135, F3 Tornado, A10, AWACS, Gazelle Heli, VC10, Tristar etc in the RadarBox list.  I've never picked up an F15 here in the UK on either the SBS-1 or RadarBox even when I know they are in my area as I've heard them on the radio.

However, some show up in the list and on the map - getting this one right now!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:11:49 PM by Allocator »

axlman

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
What type of aircraft are you interested in, and what do you hope to get from RadarBox - if you tell me that, then I can tell you how successful you will be. However, it isn't possible to say EXACTLY which aircraft you will pick up, but more and more aircraft are being fitted with full ADS-B every day.

Thanks for the answer.

My question comes from a discussion with a guy:

— he says that the AirNav ever detects all the civil airliners and put them on the list, because the AirNav can ever detect ADS-B and mode-s: so, he argues, if an aircraft is not detected by AirNav, that aircraft is certainly a military one

— reading the instruction, I rather suspect that the AirNav does not ever detect and put on the list the airliners with only mode-s: so if an aircraft is not detected by AirNav, it could be a normal civilian airliner

Which one is right?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:52:08 PM by axlman »

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »
Over to you AirNav Support :-)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »
Hi axlman,

Bit confused by your last post but anyway:

1.) RadarBox can detect ADS-B and Mode-S aircraft
2.) Only ADS-B Aircraft can be tracked on the map the others will be displayed on the aircraft list only.

Any aircraft can either have ADS-B, Mode-S or nothing installed regardless of whether they are military or commercial.

Many civil airlines with older aircraft won't have Mode-S or ADS-B but they are civil. There are also a few rare cases of military jets having ADS-B.
[email protected]

axlman

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
Many civil airlines with older aircraft won't have Mode-S or ADS-B but they are civil. There are also a few rare cases of military jets having ADS-B.

Perfect.
So, if the AirNav does not detect an aircraft, it could be a civilian airliner without ADS-B and without mode-s: it's not necessarily a military airplane.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:37 PM »
Correct. However with airlines adding at least Mode-S to there aircraft and new aircraft having ADS-B installed as default this is becoming a rarer event.
[email protected]

axlman

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »
Thanks very much for the answers and for the patience.

English is not my mother-tongue, so I always afraid to misunderstand.

Straker

• Scie chimiche (Chemtrails)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:04:48 AM »
Hi there. Thank you for information. Anyway I cannot see tankers during their chemicals clandestine operations over my city (Sanremo). This is a very interesting question...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:28:24 AM by Straker »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
1.) RadarBox can detect ADS-B and Mode-S aircraft
2.) Only ADS-B Aircraft can be tracked on the map the others will be displayed on the aircraft list only.

Can I clarify.  Do non-ADS-B aircraft show altitude and squawk in the aircraft list?  Like these Tornado F3s: