anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ryanair to Basel  (Read 10155 times)

EK01

Ryanair to Basel
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »
Ryanair are at it again. This time flights to Basel are affected. They are cancelling all services to/from Basel from the 2/12/2009 due to the airport authorities refusal to reduce landing fees. Flights affected are from Alicante, Cagliari, Stansted, Marseille, Porto and Stockholm.
Are this lot to be trusted to get you from A to B at any time I wonder.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: Ryanair to Basel
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »
Ryanair are at it again. This time flights to Basel are affected. They are cancelling all services to/from Basel from the 2/12/2009 due to the airport authorities refusal to reduce landing fees. Flights affected are from Alicante, Cagliari, Stansted, Marseille, Porto and Stockholm.
Are this lot to be trusted to get you from A to B at any time I wonder.

I've never had a problem with Ryanair. Millions of others say the same. Probably the reason they are the largest carrier in Europe in terms of passenger numbers and the World's largest international carrier in terms of international passengers carried.

Of course one can always fly British Airways - Breakfast in London; dinner in Rome; luggage in Johannesburg. :o)

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

EK01

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:35 AM »
Beg to differ Viking9 but Ryanair are just a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. I used to use them frequently but since they started cancelling flights on a whim and charging extra for everything they can possibly think of, I now use Easyjet. What a difference ! Flights on time, cheerful cabin staff, realistic fares, main city destinations not miles away from anywhere (Frankfurt Hahn for example).
By the time you add on all the additional charges for a Ryanair flight including the extra you have to pay to get from some obscure airport to your final destination, you are actually cheaper, in many cases going with British Airways.
Flights from £1. I think not !

artnco

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
I agree with EK01.

I booked a trip to Poitier in France a couple of years ago.

As the flight was from Stansted, I decided to fly from Blackpool to Stansted to make the connection.  But, of course, these had to be 2 seperate flights as Ryanair does not "do" connecting flights.

Unbelievably (to me), 4 weeks before the due date, Ryanair announced that they were withdrawing the Blackpool-Stansted service and refunded what I had paid for that leg (£5 each way).

I then had to make my way to Stansted from the north of England in order to take up the Stansted-Poitier leg - or lose the cost the much more expensive flights - no refunds as they are classed as seperate bookings.

The cost of this "low-cost" trip immediately rocketted out of all proportion.

A five hour drive each way and overnight stay!

Never again!

Once bitten etc.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »
Easyjet! Ha! You obviously never watch the TV programme 'Airline'. No compassion for pax who arrive 5 mins late after traffic hold-ups on the inadequate country roads around Luton Airport, even when the ac is sitting on the tarmac with a 2 hour delay. Immature staff; rowdy passengers on hen/stag party trips etc.

As for airlines cancelling flights at short notice; in over fifty years of worldwide air travel I've experienced that a lot more from carriers such as UA, BA, Delta etc than Ryanair. Having said that, these are probably the most difficult times in the last 20 or more years for airlines and you can expect to see many go into liquidation in the coming year - probably bmi and possibly even BA amongst them.

Anyway Guys, lets keep this forum free for radar spotting subjects and find somewhere else to complain about airlines.

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

EK01

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
I thought the fact that nobody in Basel would see any Ryanair flights after 2nd December 2009 was a radar/plane spotting subject.
Anyway why should an airline hold up a plane load of passengers just to accomodate the usual one or two who completely ignore the warning 'if you're late, we won't wait' instruction and 'swanny' upto the checkin desk (which incidentally Ryanair no longer have at many airports) with the usual excuses of 'traffic holdups, etc.
I have seen the TV program 'Airline' many times and just cannot believe in this day and age of extra security what some passengers are thinking of.
You only get what you pay for but, in my opinion, you don't even get that with Ryanair!

D.snaks

Ryanair to Basel
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:36:40 AM »
Does anybody know if there is any truth to the rumour that Ryanair may be ceasing operations from East Midlands Airport in the near future?

EK01

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
With this lot it's anyone's guess. Each day brings forth changes to schedules !