AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Queen Mary 2 on the Clyde  (Read 19959 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross

EK01

Re: Queen Mary 2 on the Clyde
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Tarbat,
Met some friends in Glasgow who are on the cruise. She left Southampton went to Leith then round to Greenock. She sails tonight to Liverpool, then goes across to Cork before heading to Cherbourg and back across to Southampton. Each passenger is given a credit card size swipe card which they use when leaving the ship and again when returning. Nobody is allowed on board without this card therefore, unfortunately, we could not have a look around her whilst she was docked in Greenock. All to do, quite rightly, with security. Indeed, on boarding all passengers have to go through a security scanner similar to those in use at airports.
Apparently, she caused the surrounding streets in Greenock to become gridlocked with sightseers.
Ian

Frank

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
Hi Tarbat,

Nice picture. Just a quick question. There are several vessels on the grid with a 'Underway' status, but the speed does not show up on the grid ( it is on the map). Is there a reason for this?

Frank

Pinza

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
Each passenger is given a credit card size swipe card which they use when leaving the ship and again when returning. Nobody is allowed on board without this card therefore, unfortunately, we could not have a look around her whilst she was docked in Greenock. All to do, quite rightly, with security. Indeed, on boarding all passengers have to go through a security scanner similar to those in use at airports.

Hey, Ho - can you imagine the fun I had boarding the Black Prince recently (described in a waffling post last night...) with a Tesco bag full of technology - Netbook, GPSr and loads of wires! As one of the few passengers aged less than 50, I was always going to be pulled by security!

Don't have an issue with that - friendly Liverpool security staff sensibly saw that I was a technology enthusiast rather than a security threat!

Look forward to monitoring the ships progress - parents are sailing on her next year - I'm jealous!

Chris

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:09:49 PM »
There are several vessels on the grid with a 'Underway' status, but the speed does not show up on the grid ( it is on the map). Is there a reason for this?

It's a bug.  Speed only shows if it's zero!

EK01

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »
Each passenger is given a credit card size swipe card which they use when leaving the ship and again when returning. Nobody is allowed on board without this card therefore, unfortunately, we could not have a look around her whilst she was docked in Greenock. All to do, quite rightly, with security. Indeed, on boarding all passengers have to go through a security scanner similar to those in use at airports.

Hey, Ho - can you imagine the fun I had boarding the Black Prince recently (described in a waffling post last night...) with a Tesco bag full of technology - Netbook, GPSr and loads of wires! As one of the few passengers aged less than 50, I was always going to be pulled by security!

Don't have an issue with that - friendly Liverpool security staff sensibly saw that I was a technology enthusiast rather than a security threat!

Look forward to monitoring the ships progress - parents are sailing on her next year - I'm jealous!

Chris

Chris,
As mentioned the QM2 is in Liverpool today. Take a few hours off and chance your arm on getting on board although from what our friends were saying, it's almost guarenteed you won't get past.
Also, a slight change to yesterday's post, she didn't dock in Leith, it was,in fact, South Queensferry.

Cheers,
Ian

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
FYI, we've never been able to get past security at Invergordon for any of the cruise ships.