anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting stock antenna outside?  (Read 8608 times)

MrT

Mounting stock antenna outside?
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:35:01 PM »
I have read that the stock antenna has been known to suffer from exposure to the elements.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

I wondered if it could be mounted inside an empty clear plastic soft drink bottle or similar?

Would the clear plastic affect the signal that much?

FlightChaser

Re: Mounting stock antenna outside?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50:54 AM »
Mounting inside a plastic bottle, is a bit like a RayDome so I guess it will work!

FlightChaser

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
I'm about to carry out a similar experiment tomorrow at the top of my house.

g0seg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:08:46 AM »
Hi, yes there is a solution to outside antenna corrosion. At your local garage supplies ask for `Dampstart` - that`s its name in the UK anyway. It`s a spray which is used on car plug leads to prevent damp causing flashover. The spray is a material that leaves a thin coat of a form of plastic that hardens up in seconds but is  still flexable and it leaves a coating on the antenna. I`m a radio ham and have used the stuff for twenty years or so and it does work. There is no detectable loss of performance and i use the stuff about every six months or so. It`s not particualy cheap but goes a long way. If you use it on the antenna supplied for Radarbox don`t forget to use it especially where the feeder enters the shield over the magnet - you`ll be suprised where damp can get. Bi now and best of luck with it. Regards and 73s from a usually very damp Yorkshire!! Roger - G0SEG

bratters

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
Clingfilm works a treat. No loss of signal whatsoever as far as I can see.

MrT

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas lads.

I might try that dampstart if I can find it here in Australia.

The plastic soda bottle is high on my list too :)

EMA

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
Do not do what someone I know did, they sealed the antenna after use outside.

The result was sealing the moisture in not out ;-)

bratters

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
Do not do what someone I know did, they sealed the antenna after use outside.

The result was sealing the moisture in not out ;-)

Quite right EMA and I should have mentioned that - ensure your aerial is bone-dry before clngflming, plasticking or sealing in an any way.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
Hi all, as mentioned in another topic, GlynH sent me his spare (brand new and bagged) standard antenna to try out with my RB - the difference was astounding, but after less than a week, performance was dropping off badly.     I apologise for not asking first Glyn, but curiosity got the better of me, and I carefully dis-assembled your antenna - both the centre conductor and screen (foil and braid - my original was very sparse - poor quality? - braid screen only) were  dry-jointed, and both parted company with the antenna very, very easily.

I thoroughly cleaned (chemically) the metal stub for the centre connection and the metal collar that forms part og the base and tinned them, I prepared the supplied co-ax similarly (chopping a couple of inches off in case of any damp penetration) and re-soldered the connections - bingo, superb performance again - up to 250nm out towards the sea.   I have since packed the void inside of the antenna base with electricians' silicone grease, working some into the co-ax itself.    Having made sure that all was still working well and there's no way will damp get in there again, I then mixed up some JB Weld epoxy, stuck the magnet back in again and thoroughly packed the rest of the base with the epoxy, pressed the base hard onto the metal base disc, with polythene in between, so epoxy squeezed out (and a little silicone grease emerging at the co-ax entry point) and left it 24 hours to set.     

The results are superb and the best I've had yet with a standard antenna.

I believe AN need to concentrate on getting their antenna supplier to modify and produce a standard antenna which is water-proof, and getting the connections soldered properly, not dry-jointed (not relying on an interference fit connection!). Making the whip from stainless steel, would also be a great step, as that is now the only part that can deteriorate or corrode, and would be the icing on the cake.

Again, my apologies Glyn for taking this rather drastic action with your twig, but I think the findings and results are worthwhile, I just hope you do as well!

I've managed to post a screen shot for the first time, the dent at 240º is due to a building between us and the cliff edge.   Reception is poor to the NNE through to the SSE is due to our gable roof being about 6' higher than the antenna.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:11:29 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:13:33 AM »
I have read that the stock antenna has been known to suffer from exposure to the elements.

I'd get a proper outside antenna If I was you. I've just installed the AirNav RADAR-EXTENDER Antenna (currently JUST the antenna) and I'm receiving messages from beyond Canberra and almost to the Victorian border!

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
Hi all, still getting superb results from Glyn's (slightly modified and weather-proofed) standard antenna, and am trying to attach another polar diagram whilst running 3.07.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
Hi Glyn and all, still getting superb results from your antenna, but the whip's almost rusted away now, I'll have to use the one off the WL&S replacement!