AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem with v3.06 - Duplicate entries/timeouts/system freezing  (Read 40950 times)

Fenris

Re: Problem with v3.06 - Duplicate entries/timeouts/system freezing
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 12:24:54 PM »
Right, well I have been investigating a bit more and found the following:

1) I downloaded an updated to the latest anrb.exe, this shows up as the same size and version as Tarbat and Allocator have, 2,437,008 bytes, but I do notice that RB itself shows the date of the file from when it was copied to the disk. In my case that's today, previously it was on 3rd October which is when I installed 3.06 beta. This is a recipe for confusion I think.

2) I now have the blue text banner at the top of the Network Flights tab with the click here for more info on the Real Time network message and the double click to hide permanently message. That's new, so even though I re-downloaded the full installer on 3rd October it didn't have the latest exe.

3) I am still seeing the highlighted aircraft on the map unhighlight within sometimes seconds of being initially highlighted. After sitting and watching for about half an hour I notice that this occurs at exactly the same time as the My Flights, Network Flights, Smartview, ACARS and Alerts tabs flicker, you can clearly see them blank and then repaint. The highlight never disappears if these tabs don't flicker, but they do so quite frequently, presumably as the lists within each of the tabs is being updated. I am running Vista SP2 on an Intel Core2Duo 1.73GHz laptop with 2GB RAM, so it's not a slow machine by any means.

I would seriously ask Airnav to find a way to identify a particular file version using a build number, here we have people with several different sizes of exe file, all of which identify themselves as 3.06. Please could we also have the separate exe files made available for download in zip files rather than as raw exe files, that way their time and date stamps will be preserved.

With the exception of the snags with selection and monitoring of specific aircraft generally things are working OK for me. The only other thing I've noticed being a bit problematic is the slow population of missing aircraft in the databases, I often look in MyLog and find a number of instances with just ModeS code and country, I then do a repopulate and close MyLog wait a while until all the photo/info requests are done and reopen it. Then I need to do another populate (which always states a larger number of requests than the first populate) before the new data shows up, but there are still some aircraft (N114EA is an example from today) that don't populate even though the correct data for them is found in GAS.

Right, enough from me for now....

EK01

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
Brian,
Anybodys guess what version of 3.06 I have installed which was downloaded on the 3rd of October as you have done as I have never seen a blue text banner at the top of the Network Flights tab as you have stated in point 2 and it is showing the folder size as 198mb long.
The other strange thing is that version 3.01 which I have still loaded on my machine but under a different name and which was downloaded 0n the 23rd of July 2009 shows a folder size of 450mb long. How can a new version with more features be of a shorter length than the original.
In both instances a full download was carried out not an upgrade. looks like another uninstall and reinstall job !

bratters

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »

1) I downloaded an updated to the latest anrb.exe,

Can you point me to the site for downloading this particular version please Brian.

Tx John

EK01

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »
John,

I would suggest that AN point us all in the right direction for downloading this particular version. I don't know if either yourself or Brian were part of the closed beta testers group (I wasn't) but as there do not seem to be any complaints as far as I know from the testers, it is beginning to look like they have a stable version of 3.06 and the rest of us have been downloading an unstable version inadvertantly sent out by AirNav.

Ian

bratters

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
Ian - No, I wasn't a tester and I would be interested to know whether they work "freehand" or to some sort of universal specification or checklist.

It does seem strange that for some of us there is the most glaringly obvious fault whilst for others everything is AOK. One doesn't know the numbers involved (testers vis a vis complainers) and I don't know whether there are slightly differing varieties  of version 3.06. in use.

In that respect I must point out that this problem was apparent to me in v3.01 - so much so that somewhere back down the line I posted the fact and expressed the hope that v3.0?? would correct it.

That didn't happen of course but knowing the glitch is in 3.01 may save Airnav some fruitless searching.

A lot of grey areas here which are no doubt as baffling to Airnav as they are to everyone else.

Fenris

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »

1) I downloaded an updated to the latest anrb.exe,

Can you point me to the site for downloading this particular version please Brian.

Tx John

Yes, it is the file downloaded via the link here:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/anrb/beta/ANRB.exe

After you copy it over you'll almost certainly get the "can't find the publisher" error message, so untick the box and click run and it should be fine.

Fenris

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 03:37:12 PM »
Ian - No, I wasn't a tester and I would be interested to know whether they work "freehand" or to some sort of universal specification or checklist.

...snip...

A lot of grey areas here which are no doubt as baffling to Airnav as they are to everyone else.

Similarly I am not a closed beta tester, and to be honest I don't really have the setup or the time to do so at present.

I have had a look at the other files in the Radarbox directory, and only the anrb.exe file seems to change, the rb.dll file which I think handles the comms with the hardware is from 2007, as is one other file whose name I forget. That's why when there is an update it is possible to copy the .exe into the directory.

So, whatever bugs there are exist in that one file, and possibly in some of the registry keys if they are set incorrectly for some reason.

This is all very baffling, I think that being able to dump what the program is doing into a debug file would be very useful, there must be a common feature for those of us seeing problems and getting good debugging would be very helpful for the Airnav developers. If they were to give me a version that logged to a file and asked me to mail that file to them then I would be more than happy to try and help them work out what's happening.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »
If they were to give me a version that logged to a file and asked me to mail that file to them then I would be more than happy to try and help them work out what's happening.

Look at the ANRB.elf file.

You could also look in the Vista Reliability Monitor.  The last time anrb.exe failed on me was back on 12th July 2009 !!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:42:47 PM by tarbat »

bratters

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
Thanks for link Brian. If I get an hour free I think I'll clear the decks and start again from scratch.

bratters

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
Brian - didn't get far with that!

"Applicaton failed to start because rb.dll was not found"
End of game!!

What I really want is a the latest complete stand alone v3.06 download.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
"Applicaton failed to start because rb.dll was not found"

When you download the anrb.exe, you need to put it in your Radarbox folder.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »
I have the same version as Allocator and Tarbat, and I can't replicate the altitude sorting problem - it all works fine for me.

I am getting the deselection of the selected flight problem, though.

Rod
Rod

voyager8

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »
Hi all,dont know if anyone else has noticed or if this only happens on my set up ( 1 desktop & two laptops) but if I make an alteration in the preferences of V3.06 beta ie, screen refresh rate,tick/untick other options,then close down V3.06 & open up V3.01 these alterations are now set in V3.01,so they are talking to each other somehow even though they are in different named folders,could this also have some bearing on some of the other problems others are suffering or is this normal?.Cheers Paul,voyager8.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »
Paul - these entries are stored in the registry, so it is to be expected that they are preserved between versions, and aren't dependent on program version or location.

Rod
Rod

voyager8

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
Hi Rod,thanks for the reply,rules somthing else out.Cheers Paul.