anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...  (Read 11463 times)

DougV

Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
I noticed tonight when I got home from work that the radarbox had a problem.

I checked the antenna and found the centre of the coax had become detached inside the base, so I soldered it up again and was looking forward to seeing the usual 40 or so flights tracked.

It was not to be.
I am lucky to get 4 or 5 on screen and they disappear within a few minutes.
The range has dropped from 90-100 miles to less than 20.

Looks like it will be going for a warranty repair.

I lasted a month, so I hope it lasts a bit longer next time.

Obviously the supplied antenna does not like being left outside in bad weather.
Perhaps I will try a new antenna first to see it that cures the problem (think I may be clutching at straws here).

Ho hum.

Doug :o(
G4SEQ

Located 10NM South of EGNM

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »
Sounds like an antenna problem to me.  Well worth trying a different antenna before you send the box off.

DougV

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »
I do hope so.
I have enjoyed the last month using the box and have missed it tonight.

It is probably trying to tell me to do things right and spend more money!

Doug :o)
G4SEQ

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »
My basic issued antenna worked well for months so can not think why the centre should become detached. Have you put a continuity meter across the coax to see if you have soldered in a short?
I can understand software problems with beta versions but mechanical failures should be very rare. Perhaps Airnav should investigate production quality as this is not the first report of failure.
My set up continues to crash after about 30 mins so I am looking forward to a new and very fast machine being deliverd next week. I hope to be on cloud nine from then onwards!!
73 de J. (QRZ.com)
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

73TORANA!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »
G'Day Jeremy,Mine was doing the same thing It was also causing noise in my Aircraft radios here at work ,Replace your USB cable as the one supplied with the Box are rubbish they have very poor shielding causing radiation into radio etc and the data string pulses become rounded instead of square and this causes dropouts. I replaced mine and it has been fine for over 2 months now.
Geoff.

DougV

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »
Hi Jeremy.

Yes I double checked to make sure I didn't have a short on it.
I even made the end off again to make doubly sure.

It is only the centre conductor that holds the cable in the mount apart from a little bit of glue on the outer sheath.

I think the high winds shook it to death today.
The whole blob of solder had come off the centre post of the mount so I don't think it had been soldered on very well to start with.

Still whatever is wrong will get fixed one way or another.

73 de Doug

G4SEQ

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
I had problems with RF getting in when Txing on the amateur bands and RFI getting out causing 5 S points of noise on 20m. I replaced the USB lead with a screened lead from Maplins and that has cured those problems as reported before. My computer is 4/5 years old and the MYFlights list just grows and grows until the software crashes. I am hoping a new machine will cope with the cpu load better!! A great box but it has caused me problems. 73 all. de j.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

DougV

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:18:22 AM »
Looks like it has gone completely deaf now.
It just struggled to pick up a Jet2 flight that flew right overhead.

I lost it at 1.6 miles!
I can normally watch them down to 1600 ft when they land at Leeds Bradford.

Oh well...
G4SEQ

GlynH

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »
My set up continues to crash after about 30 mins so I am looking forward to a new and very fast machine being deliverd next week. I hope to be on cloud nine from then onwards!!
73 de J. (QRZ.com)

Good luck Jeremy...I would be interested to know how you ge ton with a new machine as I am seriously considering building a new one here although mine is a Dual 3.2GHz Xeon/4GB/1.25TB beast to begin with...

The problem is the amount of programs I have on here at the moment and everything works extremely well (apart from RB that is) so it not just a simple as build a new machine for me...it will take weeks/months to install/configure all of my software...

If I want to continue to enjoy my hobby it seems like I will have to do something soon though as it is all wearing a little thin now...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:34:32 AM »
Looks like it has gone completely deaf now.
It just struggled to pick up a Jet2 flight that flew right overhead.

I lost it at 1.6 miles!
I can normally watch them down to 1600 ft when they land at Leeds Bradford.

Oh well...

I do hope its just the antenna but having had 2 different boxes go the same way myself I would brace yourself for the worst.

Do you have another antenna or someone close who might let you try your box on their antenna?

We did have some brief storms around here yesterday or the day before - I have never disconnected any of my kit in years and never have any problems but I found myself scurrying up into the loft the other day to unplug the antenna from the RB...:-(

God knows what might have happened if I weren't here to do so?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »
Glyn,
I am not convinced all the crashing is due to me but my computer is 4 years old. It is supported by my company so I thought it was time the chairman had a new one!! 4 core 64bt coming my way and I have put aside 2 weeks to move everything over, 2 weeks of hell I fear!
73 de J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

EK01

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
I had problems with RF getting in when Txing on the amateur bands and RFI getting out causing 5 S points of noise on 20m. I replaced the USB lead with a screened lead from Maplins and that has cured those problems as reported before. My computer is 4/5 years old and the MYFlights list just grows and grows until the software crashes. I am hoping a new machine will cope with the cpu load better!! A great box but it has caused me problems. 73 all. de j.

Jeremy,
Just as a matter of interest what was the make/name/part number etc of the screened USB lead you got from Maplins. I also experience noise from my airband radio and with having a Maplins nearby would appreciate any details you can supply on the product as it seems to have solved your problems.

Cheers,
Ian

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »
L08BT USB2 A-Min 5pin 1.5m
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

EK01

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »
Thanks, mate

Ian

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »
Hi Doug, my supplied antena has also gone completely U/S (<4 months outside!), the metal element has rusted very badly, almost through in a couple of places.    The RG174 cable has damp all the way through it to the SMA plug.    The metal magnet in the antenna base should've been connected to the screen of the co-ax, but was totally isolated by corrosion dissolving the copper screen.

I've connected a Moonraker Miniscan (bought through Maplins) and am only picking up very occasional aircraft and only to a range of about 30 miles.

http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Scanning-Receiving-and-Avionics/Mobile-Scanner-Antennas/MINISCAN-MOBILE

Although I've a Watson Radar Extender, I'm not going to get the chance to erect it this year, so I am wondering about an SSE-1090, which I can tack onto the flat roof, by hanging out of the window, without scafolding etc..

I am wondering if the RB has developed the deaf syndrome, so may contact one of the Forum members to try it against their box, as it it one of the later "bomb-proof" boxes.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!