anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new member  (Read 4419 times)

oldun666

« on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
hi there folks, i would just like introduce myself as a new member, and thank 1 full member for all their help. Looking forward to talking to all of you     jeff.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:30 PM »
Welcome oldun666 :)

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, we are all here to help.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DougV

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »
Better make that 2 new members.

Hi Jeff, I'm new myself so we will be learning together.

Got my box on 6th August and have spent the time since then getting to know how it all works and trying different positions for the aerial.
Having great fun!

Cheers,

Doug
G4SEQ

Located 10NM South of EGNM

oldun666

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »
hi doug had mine about 3 weeks but only just learned how to use the forum never mind the rb ha ha, i tried my colliner outside but could only get 4 max on my flights, dont know why because my ham radio works perfect then i put the small rb antenna in the loft with a couple of connections and had up to 40 so the higher the better

DougV

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »
Hi Jeff.
I'm not too bad with forums as I am a moderator on a photography site.

Yes height seems to be the main thing when siting the aerial.
My shack is in the loft but I only live in a bungalow, so I don't have much height.

Tried the supplied aerial shoved out of the loft window and it picks up around 20 aircraft or so.
Then I strapped it to a small telescopic mast I have and got it about 6 foot above the ridge and got 40-50.
The trouble with that was that it was sticking through the loft window and I couldn't close it.
Finally made a small mast from a piece of plastic that I wedge under one of the tiles and have clamped the aerial and ground plane to it.
It sticks up just above the ridge and during busy times I still get 40+ aircraft.

I will get a proper aerial sometime over the next couple of months.

G4SEQ

Located 10NM South of EGNM

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »
Hi oldun666

Be wellcome !

Juan - SBGR - Brazil

oldun666

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »
thanks a lot juan much appreciated

EK01

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 01:25:52 PM »
Jeff,

Welcome. Glad to see you managed to follow my pretty vague instructions on how to get onto the forum.

Ian

oldun666

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »
thanks a lot ian sorry only just got back to you but like i said im'e a bit slow lol.    jeff

cornish rebel

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:54:50 AM »
Hi all just got my radar box last week so am a new user to it took me ages to save enough money to get it but I'm glad I did I'm based prob 20 odd miles from Shannon airport over in Ireland even tho I'm from Cornwall. Not getting much in my flights at the moment 10 was the best I got in 1 go but that because the way my room faces but the network makes up for that at the moment. Have got a antenna on order was hoping to get it this week but the company I ordered it through are out of stock of them at the moment so have to wait till the 23rd of this month till they get it in stock again. Cant wait to get it tho so I can see what is coming off or going over the ocean and give you lads a bit of a heads up on whats coming your way hopefully.

All the best from Ireland
Mark
Located in Limerick Ireland about 20 odd miles from Shannon airport EINN

EK01

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »
Cheers Mark and welcome to the forum. The antenna that comes with the RB gives good reception. Try it out in various places, the higher placed the better. If placing on a window ledge, it will probably work better if placed on the outside ledge as double glazing can sometimes cause problems. It's advisable to bring back inside if it is raining (which it usuually is here in the west of Scotland).
Be sure to contact the forum if you have any queries or need help with anything as there are plenty of us who can assist.

Cheers,

Ian

cornish rebel

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:34:58 PM »
Thanks Ian I will ask if I have queries or help. The antenna that came with the box is giving me fairly good range I understand that it works on line of site. I have it up as high as i can get it in the window on the top floor in the house I live there is only 1 window in my room I cant place it anywhere else as I share the house with other ppl cant really stick it out the window as that would be lower than what i got it now and it rains just as much over here in Ireland as it does in Scotland unfortunately. Anyway I'm very pleased with it so far I find it very addictive lol. still got to test it out at Shannon with Shannon being where it is we get lots of interesting stuff flying in and out of there. When I have got this sussed out a bit more will post some screen shots up.

All the best
Mark
Located in Limerick Ireland about 20 odd miles from Shannon airport EINN