anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Final Hardware Sample being Tested  (Read 29187 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Final Hardware Sample being Tested
« on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:43 AM »
We have great news for our ShipTrax project.
The final hardware is being tested with successful results.
If it passes all the tests mass production will start.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:19:31 PM by AirNav Development »

Cumulus

Re: Final Hardware Smaple being Tested
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
We have great news for our ShipTrax project.
The final hardware is being tested with successful results.
If it passes all the tests mass production will start.

Any clues as to the specification ? I am about to buy the Comar AIS-2-USB.

Cheers,

Peter

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Final Hardware Sample being Tested
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
Dual receiver (bot AIS channels at the same time), ethernet, USB and serial output and free ShipTrax software. (much better than any of the current receivers... :-) )

VK2GEL

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
And the price is?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
We are not yet sure about it but will be similar to Comar AIS-2-USB.

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
Hi There, Will Ship Trax Work With A 1090Mhz Antenna, For E.g. The Antenna I Use For My Radar, ?
Thank You
John
Johnn -

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
Hi There, Will Ship Trax Work With A 1090Mhz Antenna, For E.g. The Antenna I Use For My Radar, ?
Thank You
John

Nope, different frequencies altogether:

The AIS transponder normally works in an autonomous and continuous mode, regardless of whether it is operating in the open seas or coastal or inland areas. Transmissions are found on two frequencies, VHF maritime channels 87B (161.975 MHz) and 88B (162.025 MHz) and use 9600 bit/s Gaussian minimum shift keying (GMSK) modulation over 25 or 12.5 kHz channels using the High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) packet protocol. Although only one radio channel is necessary, each station transmits and receives over two radio channels to avoid interference problems, and to allow channels to be shifted without communications loss from other ships. The system provides for automatic contention resolution between itself and other stations, and communications integrity is maintained even in overload situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Identification_System

GlynH

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
I would be interested in ShipTrax but living where I do slap bang in the middle of the country could I expect to see anything at all?

http://www.glyn.me/radarbox

AirNav (or MarineNav :-) will the ShipTrax software have a network tab similar to that in RB?

If so I am guessing I will have to buy the hardware and have it connected as a dongle just to receive network data?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:42:41 PM by GlynH »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »
ShipTrax is a virtual copy/paste of RadarBox but for ships so you will have the network tab and mylog too. It is very addictive and our team spends hours playing with it. You will also be able to connect to remote tcp/ip locations sharing AIS data. The software looks great. The hardware too but not yet finished.

GlynH

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
Yeah but do you think I might be able to pick up any ships live from my inland location?

And if I can't then can I just purchase the software only and connect to the network or is it bundled with the hardware acting like a dongle as with the RB?

Can you expand a little more on the ethernet function - is it directly addressable via TCP/IP from the network instead of USB for example?

Oh and tell your team to stop spending hours playing with it and get back to work on v3.0! :-)

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:05:38 PM by GlynH »

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
Glyn, Are you real high up with your location, if so wouldent you be able to get a good range?
I am in a dip, though only a mile from the sea.
Thanks
Johnn -

GlynH

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
Hi John,

Well I'm in North Oxfordshire @ 460 feet amsl and on a hill to boot but am way inland as you will see if you click on the link to my RB website a few posts up.

Not sure how much traffic I might expect to see from here :-(

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »
Hi Glyn,
Well, This Is -What I Did To Figure Out How Much Range I Would Get With The Ship Trax, Correct Me If Im Wrong, I Just Looked -At My Radar Polar Diagram, And Looked At The Sea Coverage I Would Be Getting. If That Makes Sence?.
Hope That Made Sence.
Thanks
John
Johnn -

gpsranger

• storm chaser
    • Bicester Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
I live in Bicester Oxon I use shipplotter and either an ais box or my icom and when the skip, ducting, or other atmospherics are right I somtimes get ais signals from much further than line off site obviously i can go weeks with nothing  but I check it out sometimes and suprise there it is.
I did recieve what was obviously a small boat on the thames near Oxford for a few days last year.

Protzenalp

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »
Hi Glyn,
Well, This Is -What I Did To Figure Out How Much Range I Would Get With The Ship Trax, Correct Me If Im Wrong, I Just Looked -At My Radar Polar Diagram, And Looked At The Sea Coverage I Would Be Getting. If That Makes Sence?.
Hope That Made Sence.
Thanks
John

Hi John

I don't think it does actually make sense unfortunately. If ShipTrax works on line of sight like RadarBox does then your polar diagram for RadarBox would not be relevant for ShipTrax. Bear in mind that aircraft your RadarBox is picking up could be at 36'000 feet and therefore in line of sightm whilst a ship in the same position (at sea level of course) would be well over the horizon.