AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does it work in Hong Kong  (Read 4261 times)

tmevo6

Does it work in Hong Kong
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am considering to get this RadarBox but worrying if it would work in Hong Kong. Anyone with experience using it in Hong Kong?

Much appreciated.

:D

Stephen

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Does it work in Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
Hi Stephen and welcome to the forum

Yes - we already have regular network traffic from Hong Kong, and often it shows aircraft taxying at the airport. Naturally it depends on the high buildings that may or may not interfere with your reception, but there is plenty of ADS-B traffic around to see on the map.

Have fun!

Rod
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:04:35 AM by RodBearden »
Rod

tmevo6

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
Cool, thx Rod.

The box would be a nice bday gift for myself. :D

EGNXR

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:26 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Screen shot of network traffic 09:43UTC for VHHH Hong Kong Intl

HTH Cheers John
Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »
More fun at Kai Tak, lived by the Chequer board for 2 years. Concord first visit came as a surprise, Mrs E. Marcos came to buy some shoes the day before the offical arrival. 8 walters airborne at the same time, Allouttes with no doors going round the outer islands, happy days!
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

ianmalc

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
I am going on holiday to Hong Kong , Sydney and Singapore next week, and i am taking my radar box with me.
Only ever taken it to Heathrow and Manchester ,never abroad before.

Ian

mjread

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
ianmalc,
I'd really appreciate it if you could post your findings of when you are in Singapore (where you set up / what you saw).  I am in Singapore and have just bought a RB, but I'm unable to track anything because the only ADS-B messages I am picking up is from aircraft 50-100 miles away flying over Malaysia, and only occasionally.  I even sat on Changi Beach, which is pretty much right at the end of the runway, and didn't receive a thing as they flew straight over my head.  Mode-S is coming through fine.
I'd like to know if something is wrong with my RB or whether Singapore really is some strange ADS-B black hole.

Thanks,
Mark.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »
Mark - it really is very odd that you aren't picking up aircraft on the map - with all the SIA, BA, Qantas etc widebodies around, there should be plenty of activity to see.

Have you contacted Support direct about this? Maybe you do have a genuine fault somewhere.

Rod
Rod

Protzenalp

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07:58 AM »
I have used my RB in both Singapore and Hong Kong without a problem. In Singapore I was getting a lot of overhead traffic and traffic tracking down through Malaysia to Singapore.

In Hong Kong I got an airport view room at the Novotel out near the airport and was picking up all the Hong Kong traffic (incl. ground) as well as most of the traffic into Macau. Great fun!

mjread

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
I am in contact with support about the problem and will be performing some tests they've asked me to do this weekend.  I just find it really weird that I'm tracking aircraft that is far away, but not near.
Thanks Protzenalp for confirming that I should be receiving the ADS-B messages here - at least it has ruled out any strange paranormal phenomenon or paranoid government conspiracy theories I may have had ;)  May I ask where in Singapore you were though?  I want to find where is best to test - apparently being near the sea may be a problem.

ianmalc

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »
I am staying in 3 airport hotels , Regal at hong kong , Stamford plaza at sydney
and Crowne plaza at Singapore , so i couldnt get much nearer to the action.

Ian

Protzenalp

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Thanks Protzenalp for confirming that I should be receiving the ADS-B messages here - at least it has ruled out any strange paranormal phenomenon or paranoid government conspiracy theories I may have had ;)  May I ask where in Singapore you were though?  I want to find where is best to test - apparently being near the sea may be a problem

I was on the 32nd floor at the Conrad. The height is an advantage, although there are quite a few buildings around there which blocks some of the quadrants.