anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Hardware: Unconnected"  (Read 42187 times)

Jordan

"Hardware: Unconnected"
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
does it only happen to me that every once in a while the software shows that the hardware got disconncted although its still connected?
when it says that, the USB LED blinking evey second and i am not touching a thing..
basiclly all i need to do is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, but im afraid that if ill do it every time its giving me this error it would give the box an electric shock everytime and it will be destroyed...
if it matters, it is connected (and generally working great) to a laptop
its been happening to me ever since i bought it last week.
thx for your help.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: "Hardware: Unconnected"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
Not sure what you mean about the electric shock. Don't worry about that.

If your getting disconnects with your laptop make sure the RB is getting enough power in the USB port and also trying changing the USB cable and see whether that works better.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Jordan

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
I thought about the power thing as well, but then again, if its working for a long time with no problem, why would it suddenly have a problem with the power?
and if you say that there is no worries about disconnecting and reconnecting thats great.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »
Jordan,

Are you running RB on a laptop or a desktop PC?

Dose RB disconnect whilst you are using the PC, or old when you leave the PC alone for a while?

Jordan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
Its on a laptop.
well i have the laptop right next to my PC, and most of the time im just looking at it without touching...does it have anything to do with it?

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »
Yes, indeed it could.  The laptop might have a power saving function that switches off or reduces the power to the USB ports afer a period of what it sees as inactivity.  Such power saving can also switch off laptop monitors and/or stop the HD from spinning too.

Jordan

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
the thing is, that as "plugged in" its not suppose to turn off anything, only when it on batteries, and at home its always plugged in.

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
Are you sure about this?  Are you running Vista or XP?

I've never had an issue with my laptops, but I'm sure I remember people here talking about BIOS settings as well as the standard Windows power saving settings.

The test here really is - does the disconnection happen if you are using your laptop rather than just watching it?

Jordan

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
very sure i made those settings myself..and rechked now. its XP.
basiclly its not actually an issue, becasue its not that it works slow or anything like that (the refresh rate is the quickest, 100ms). this is the only "problem" (its just more annoying then actually a problem)

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »
OK, just confirm that you have right clicked on the Windows desktop, selected Properties > Screen saver > Power > selected 'Always on' and made sure that all options are set to 'Never'.

I can't remember what was said about the BIOS settings, somebody else will have to jump in here.

Plan B is to try a different USB cable.  Just confirm that you are using the standard length USB cable and that you are not using an extender or USB hub?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »
Does sound like power saving on the internal USB hub.  Check in device manager whether the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked for the USB hub the Radarbox is plugged in to.  If so, untick it.  It's normally ticked by default on most laptops.

Jordan

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:21 PM »
OK, just confirm that you have right clicked on the Windows desktop, selected Properties > Screen saver > Power > selected 'Always on' and made sure that all options are set to 'Never'.

I can't remember what was said about the BIOS settings, somebody else will have to jump in here.

Plan B is to try a different USB cable.  Just confirm that you are using the standard length USB cable and that you are not using an extender or USB hub?

it is connected straight to the laptop..and yes standard.

Does sound like power saving on the internal USB hub.  Check in device manager whether the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked for the USB hub the Radarbox is plugged in to.  If so, untick it.  It's normally ticked by default on most laptops.

couldnt find that setting choice there, never worked great with that device manager..

t1mb0

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »
Hi Jordan

I found that any kind of flourescent lighting can trip my RB over.
Without fail every time I switch the one on in my loft near to it, it will disconnect.
Whether it's the emissions from the tube itself or even the power circuitry nearby, it does effect it.

Just a thought anyway.

A TV remote I once had used to set my wireless doorbell off, there's a lot of stuff out there in the ether!
12m SE of EGHI

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »
couldnt find that setting choice there, never worked great with that device manager..

Its on the Power Management tab.  In Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section.  In there, you'll find one or more USB Root Hub entries.  Right click each one, and Properties.  Then go to the Power Management tab, and untick the box to not allow the power to be turned off.

I had exactly the same problem on my NC10 laptop.  Solved by unticking as described.

Jordan

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
Ok unticked them all, thx a lot hope this will sort it out!

t1mb0, the flourescent didnt make any problems so far (and thats what i have in my room)