AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft On Ground  (Read 12888 times)

ianmalc

Aircraft On Ground
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »
In myflights how do you get aircraft to show on ground at 0 ft.

Ian

EGNXR

Re: Aircraft On Ground
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
Hi Ian,

In preferances - Radarbox change the QNH setting to your chosen airfield QFE.

HTH Cheers John
Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

aps

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:45 AM »
Hi Ian,

In preferances - Radarbox change the QNH setting to your chosen airfield QFE.

HTH Cheers John

Hmmm... not sure i understand that .
Ive looked in preferences and cant see how .

any chance of an idiots guide ?
cheers

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »
Hmmm... not sure i understand that .
Ive looked in preferences and cant see how .

It's tucked away, rather confusingly, under File -> Preferences -> RadarBox -> Transition Altitude.  Don't forget you will have to adjust the value regularly, as the barometer changes, to keep aircraft displaying zero altitude on the ground.

I would assume that you also need to untick "Auto Set QNH" in SmartView (otherwise, if you have an airport selected, its METAR QNH will presumably override the value you have set in Preferences).

[Suggestion for V4.0 - either allow the user to specify a QNH adjustment, or use the Elevation value for the selected airport, to derive an estimated QFE value automatically]
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

EGNXR

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
Hi Ian,

Not much I can add to Dave's explanation, but one thing I have noticed is while at an airport you can get 0ft showing but from home you tend to get slight variations +/- a few feet. As in screenshot below.

Cheers John

DaveReid

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »
one thing I have noticed is while at an airport you can get 0ft showing but from home you tend to get slight variations +/- a few feet.

I think the reason for that is that aircraft transmit their altitude to the nearest 25' or 100' (depending on the fit).  So the value adjusted for QFE can still be out by up to 50 feet.

However once the ground bit is set in the Flight Status then I believe both RB and SBS display a zero value, though I can't be sure as I'm too far from any airport to be able to pick up aircraft on the ground.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

dudbaker

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
Dave

Would it not be possible for you to look at my aircraft at STN via the network.  There is a Ryanair at the hold for takeoff.  Showing 345feet.  You should see it with 5 minutes delay, presumably.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

DaveReid

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
Would it not be possible for you to look at my aircraft at STN via the network.  There is a Ryanair at the hold for takeoff.  Showing 345feet.  You should see it with 5 minutes delay, presumably.

Didn't read your post in time to look for it, I'm afraid.

It wasn't EI-DAV, by any chance ?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:13:19 PM by DaveReid »

dudbaker

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
Dave

EI-DAV was around at 1540 so a bit latter.  The one I indicated was just an example: there are many others to help clear up the point.  I wonder if there is a EI-DUD.

Dudley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:03:13 PM by dudbaker »
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

EGNXR

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »
Dave

EI-DAV was around at 1540 so a bit latter.  The one I indicated was just an example: there are many others to help clear up the point.  I wonder if there is a EI-DUD.

Dudley

Hi Dudley,

Yes = EI-DUD B752 Kras Air/Air Union (ILFC)

There used to be an EI-EIO Not sure if it was owned by Old MacDonald thou'  ;-)

Cheers John

aps

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »
Hmmmm. im pretty much still only getting stuff above say 200ft ish landing and taken off

Plus in the transition altitude i cant get it below 800 ft ... thats if im understanding it correctly... top line(1000) & bottom line(800) ?

MAN is only 2miles from me as the crow flies too....

Tony
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:45:50 PM by aps »

dudbaker

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
APS

I hope you are allowing for MAN being 275 feet above sea level.  So 200 feet ish would be fine with QNH set.  Are they over the airfield at this height.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]

aps

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »
APS

I hope you are allowing for MAN being 275 feet above sea level.  So 200 feet ish would be fine with QNH set.  Are they over the airfield at this height.

Dudley

Thanks Dudley , no i didnt !

please forgive my stupidity but what do i enter into which altitude box ?

Just looking at it again ... simply ... i have no clue what to do !

Tony
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:00:03 PM by aps »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 02:10:51 PM »
APS

Dudley

Tony

You may be making life more difficult than it needs to be :-)

Civil airliners use the QNH pressure setting (do a Wiki search - it's a complicated subject) and therefore their altimeters will show the airfield elevation when landing, not zero feet.  RadarBox automatically sets the QNH for the airfield you select in SmartView if you have Auto Set QNH ticked in SmartView, so you will always get an altitude readout that corresponds to what air traffic are telling the pilot to do.  If you have RB showing you the height above the airfield, then this will not make any sense when listening to air traffic.

I believe that the Mode S transponder on the aircraft is supposed to send a zero height readout when on the ground, but this doesn't seem to be the case, unless it is a signal that RB is not trapping.

aps

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
APS

Dudley

Tony

You may be making life more difficult than it needs to be :-)

Civil airliners use the QNH pressure setting (do a Wiki search - it's a complicated subject) and therefore their altimeters will show the airfield elevation when landing, not zero feet.  RadarBox automatically sets the QNH for the airfield you select in SmartView if you have Auto Set QNH ticked in SmartView, so you will always get an altitude readout that corresponds to what air traffic are telling the pilot to do.  If you have RB showing you the height above the airfield, then this will not make any sense when listening to air traffic.

I believe that the Mode S transponder on the aircraft is supposed to send a zero height readout when on the ground, but this doesn't seem to be the case, unless it is a signal that RB is not trapping.

Still not what im asking ..
Ahh well... i think its time to give up trying to see a/c on ground .

thanks anyway
Tony