anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Future Version Suggestions / Requests  (Read 240849 times)

dxman

Re: Future Version Suggestions / Requests
« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »
I tought sharing is give something for free en get something for free, not give something for free and get something after paying money!

dumpty

« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »
I would like all the aircraft in Smart View or under Alert to appear on the map in a different  colour for easy id.

Simon

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
I tought sharing is give something for free en get something for free, not give something for free and get something after paying money!

For this reason I regularly check that this option is turned off!

punchcard

« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

has correcting the US/Canada border been brought up yet?

I'm rather upset with AirNav for giving the best part of Michigan to Canada

eggplant

« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »

A fair comment methinks. If Airnav persist in making the default to share data, then at least they could rename the check box to "Make my data available for Airnav to profit from and give me nothing in return" or such like.  Additionally it may be prudent on start-up for a window to state  "I accept I am potentially committing a crime by using this software" or such like which must be okayed before the application runs ?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:45:09 AM by eggplant »
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2010, 06:15:42 AM »

A fair comment methinks. If Airnav persist in making the default to share data, then at least they could rename the check box to "Make my data available for Airnav to profit from and give me nothing in return" or such like.  Additionally it may be prudent on start-up for a window to state  "I accept I am potentially committing a crime by using this software" or such like which must be okayed before the application runs ?

Nothing constructive then eh?

Most users seem to be able to cope with this really "difficult" action of simply turning it off if they are in any way upset or concerned either about profit making or committing a criminal offence.

It's not difficult is it.

Face it, it's not going to get changed for quite obvious reasons.

Maybe we could come up with something new for a change rather than banging heads against the same brick wall?

Look forward to reading the same criticism in say two months time?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »
Look forward to reading the same criticism in say two months time?

I agree, this one looks like it will run and run.  It's hard to see the two opposing viewpoints being reconciled, but perhaps I might suggest a compromise that would bring the factions at least a bit closer together ?

Nobody disputes that sharing data is definitely illegal in some countries, indeed AirNav explicitly acknowledge that with a warning message in the Preferences dialog.

Equally, anyone being prosecuted for doing so who argued that the software defaulted to switching sharing on at startup and he/she forgot to untick the box, wouldn't have much of a legal leg to stand on.

And clearly AirNav would not want themselves to be seen as profiting from its users' illegal activity, that's not good for business.

However we all know that potentially giving every user the choice to opt-out of sharing permanently as a default would destroy their business model.

So, how about the following:

On startup, RadarBox reads the user's home location (which it does at the moment anyway).

If that location is in a country where the sharing flight data is suspected to be illegal, then sharing defaults to off, although the user has the option to switch it on, at their own risk, subject to the current warning message.

On the other hand, if the home location is in a country which allows flight data sharing, then RadarBox behaves as at present, with sharing on by default.

OK, so it's not perfect, but it absolves AirNav from any complicity in illegal activity, or accusations that they are profiting from such, and gives the user an assurance that they aren't going to end up in jail simply as a result of forgetfulness.

That would seems to me to be a suitable compromise between AirNav's commercial interests and the legitimate concerns of users about staying on the right side of the law.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

radarspotter10

« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2010, 07:43:31 AM »
Hi.
I would say its up to the owners of the receivers same as air-band scanners no difference.

from pat

radarspotter10

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
I have a puzzle for you,  if you have a airnav or another receiver and not switched on can you get charged with intent to use it.  (switch on or not switch on").?
from pat
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:59:35 AM by SWORDFISH »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »
same as air-band scanners no difference

You're welcome to your opinion, Pat, but I don't think that's a valid comparison.

Running your RadarBox in private and viewing on your PC the traffic that your box is picking up, is certainly comparable to listening to the same traffic on your scanner.

But uploading shared RadarBox data to the server is more akin to publishing the information that you're picking up on airband, or even posting a live ATC feed on the Net (and we both know that's a no-no in some countries, such as the UK).

I'm sure that, like me, you enjoy looking at network traffic on your RadarBox.

And I'm equally sure that you, like me, don't want anyone to go to jail for providing the data that you're looking at, if doing that it is against the law in the country they live in.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

shaun

« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
Exactly.
10 NM NW of EGMC
Essex
UK

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Our official position is very simple: nothing will be changed regarding sharing options.
All is very clear and users are free to opt-out from sharing data. The default opt-in exists for the benefit of all users and it is one of the reasons why RadarBox network is by far the biggest in terms of users and areas covered.

This topic has been discussed in depth in the past and there is no reason to bring it up again and again.
There is forum on the web for permanent criticism and negative posts so please respect our users by bringing interesting and positive information to our forum.

radarspotter10

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
same as air-band scanners no difference

You're welcome to your opinion, Pat, but I don't think that's a valid comparison.

Running your RadarBox in private and viewing on your PC the traffic that your box is picking up, is certainly comparable to listening to the same traffic on your scanner.

But uploading shared RadarBox data to the server is more akin to publishing the information that you're picking up on airband, or even posting a live ATC feed on the Net (and we both know that's a no-no in some countries, such as the UK).

I'm sure that, like me, you enjoy looking at network traffic on your RadarBox.

And I'm equally sure that you, like me, don't want anyone to go to jail for providing the data that you're looking at, if doing that it is against the law in the country they live in.

Both come under the same law, there is no difference.
from pat

Runway 31

« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
Would what is being discussed put forums like the mode_s group into illegal realms also as there are plenty of people posting what they pick up on a daily basis.

Know the law in the country you live in and abide by it, or be prepared to deal with any consequences.

For me I will use my box and provide the info for networking and if someone comes knocking on my door, I will deal with it.  However i think the authorities have bigger fishes to fry here in the UK.

DaveG

« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »
As this is the suggestion/requests thread and the topic being discussed has been many times, whats the chances of all the discussion posts being either deleted from here or moved into the discussions part of the forum.
Cornwall, UK