anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Illegal Activity to halt AirNav RadarBox Success  (Read 24670 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Illegal Activity to halt AirNav RadarBox Success
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
We always try to avoid these kind of posts on our forum since our users are mostly interested on using the RadarBox system and on its features.
Anyway we believe our users and our forum readers should be informed about what goes behind the scenes at this forum.

All of us have read during the last few weeks several topics and consecutive posts from some users reporting static problems with our system. Like any other electronic receiver AirNav RadarBox may suffer from problems in some specific conditions. Anyway it was strange for our team to find that from over 3000 units sold and with only about 30 returned, the static problem was being magnified so much.

We have just discovered that a user was developing and deployed a software to artificially raise the relevance of topics that continuously tried to undermine the success of the RadarBox system. Most of these topics were kept on the top of our forum with constant replies from the same user that developed this illegal activity.

This illegal software was running on an external server, refreshing the forum page on a specific pre-defined interval.
One of the criteria search engines like Google use to raise the position of a specific page is the number of views that page. That user was trying to undermine AirNav Systems image by artificially raise the view count of our forum topics related to the static problem. His objective was for someone searching for RadarBox at, for example, Google, would come up with links pointing to RadarBox problems instead of the system webpage.

According to the real-time statistics below, Most of our topics have no more than 15000 views. The topics mentioning problems with RadarBox suddently had over 30 thousand visits.

Real-time forum stats:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?&action=stats

At AirNav Systems we take our reputation to a very high degree. We have all the personal information of this user and we will take this case to maximum extents possible under law.

Since the release of AirNav RadarBox and its tremendous success AirNav Systems has suffered an unprecedented pressure from those who don't like to see the success of the product. We have now a huge market share and this creates several problems to companies and individuals that were not used to see a strong company focused on software innovation coming to this market.

We are an honest company and we work hard every day to achieve the success we are having and we cannot accept that individuals like this one try, for any reason, undermine the image of AirNav Systems.

aps

Re: Illegal Activity to halt AirNav RadarBox Success
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:48 PM »
WOW !!!
Its stunning that someone would stoop so low !!!

Well i still love mine to bits ... and am always praising it to others ...

unreal ...

cheers  APS

Terry

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Hi AirNav
             Everywhere in this world it seems that whatever you do,say,make etc,.There`s always someone who disagrees in one way or another but hasn`t got the bottle to get it off his or her chest and clear the air.This leads to envy and jealousy,then they take stupid measures as this person you are refering to has done,not only to give people the impression you have a suspect product and put prospective customers off,but brings the name AirNav and all it stands for into disrepute(which we all know on this forum is quite the contrary).As an AirNav RB and SBS user i`m appauled  anyone would stoop so low,but we shoul probably feel sorry for them as i`m sure with some professional treatment they could be helped?.I for one agree with you taking the most extreme action  against anyone using this kind of action,regardless of their motives.The law is there for us all,so use it AirNav.
                                              Thats put my 5ps worth in!

Regards Terry.

jgrloit

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »
Is there any reason that you need to be indexed by services such as Google?

Would a NOrobot.txt type file not prevent this indexing?

Why are you accepting connections from indexing servers for individual topics, if you need to be indexed at all.
Surely you could just have the boards indexed!!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »
jrgloit,

There is lots of information on the forum and indviudal posts and hence its good they are indexed by search engines and customers (whether prospective or current) can find answers to there questions that way.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

jgrloit

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
Not quite what I expected, but understandable.
Iwould have hoped that your indexing was good enough once I was on the forum, so that external indexes were not required.
Your choice though!!!!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

radarspotter10

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
jrgloit,

There is lots of information on the forum and indviudal posts and hence its good they are indexed by search engines and customers (whether prospective or current) can find answers to there questions that way.

i have had my difference with airnav but i worked this one out months ago, your lists tells all,
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?&action=stats

and its not rocket science to work out who it is, and who there backing
i think the world of my airnav and always will,
i will say no more.  sorry if this offends anyone.

all the best from pat

airnav1967

• photo of the A380 taking off from Manc air
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
I have only had my air nav a week still trying to figure it out, but love it, thanks to all who developed this device fantastic, and we certainly do not need anyone casuing problems. 

airnav1967
I love aviation and the air nav is the best invention ever

jmhayes

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:03:26 AM »
... the same user that developed this illegal activity.
This illegal software ...
Welcome to the Internet, but I gotta ask: what exactly is illegal about this (presuming of course that it's even true) ...?

HadNav

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
I've had my Airnav RB for over 6 months. Apart from slow menus I've been very happy with the box and it's software. I'm looking forward to the v3.0 public beta test and final launch. (Soon please)

It doesn't mean i wont criticise in future where I find shortfall from Airnav. However deliberate misinformation and targeting of a company sucks!

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 02:39:16 PM »
It takes all sorts to make a world.

15 Miles East of EGNJ

daveg4otu

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
"We have just discovered that a user was developing and deployed a software.....etc etc. "

I really wasn't going to comment on this  but I  it all a bit hard to believe - both technically  as well as the facts .

I have of course no box at the moment(Refunded by suppliers- Thankyou ) so have no axe to grind... but am watching this forum  to see how things go before deciding whether to  buy another RB or go for the SBS instead.

Try as I may I can't find a recent thread  on the subject  of deaf boxes that runs anywhere near  15000 views let alone 30,000...in fact there are (over the past couple of months only a handful of threads -and they are not on the subject of faulty boxes - which have even reached view totals  of 4 figures and only one  really large thread with 5 figures (the Military loggings).

I was always under the impression that for traffic counting  purposes  places such as Google/Nielsen/Alexa counted only "unique " visits  rather than endless repeats....I may be wrong  but that's how I understand it.

Yes there are freely available " continuous refresh page" applications - but this  stuff is freely available on the net(mostly for use on Auction sites like eBay)  and , whist concerted use by a large number of people (in fact a very large number would be required) can overwhelm a server - I don't believe it can influence Google or  the rankings .

I'll continue to monitor the  progress of the Airnav RB with great interest    until I make up my mind who will get my £400. ....Airnav or the opposition.

(if anyone ...as I'm doing quite nicely using Planeplotter as a subscribed master user  at the moment- don't need a box at all if there is already  good coverage  in  your locality).

Dave
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »
Dave: "Try as I may I can't find a recent thread  on the subject  of deaf boxes that runs anywhere near  15000 views let alone 30,000..."

As soon as  we discovered this we have reset the counter for those threads.

"I really wasn't going to comment on this  but I  it all a bit hard to believe - both technically  as well as the facts ."

As posted on our message we take these issues very seriously and we wouldn't bring this to the general public/users if we were not 100% sure about it. For honest people it is hard to people such things happen but, unfortunately, they do. As we told we are now taking serious measures against person and those behind him.

Regarding deciding if to buy RadarBox we posted yesterday a great leaflet that is now being distributed by our dealers. You can download it at:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2871.0

There is a pdf download link in that page for a high resolution copy of it.
Off-the-record: you would choose RadarBox if you knew what we have reserved for the next few months... :-)

jmhayes

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
(if anyone ...as I'm doing quite nicely using Planeplotter as a subscribed master user  at the moment- don't need a box at all if there is already  good coverage  in  your locality)
Speaking of playing well with PlanePlotter (and other external applications), this is the #1 thing that I've been waiting for to be fixed in 2.1/3.0: external data either over 7879 or 30003 ... can't wait to try the beta when it comes out to see if this has been fixed.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
Just curious as to what you will use the port data for - genuine question.  Are you planning to write software, or is there something specific you want to use with RB?