AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox disconnecting during the night  (Read 5350 times)

SpeedWagon

Radarbox disconnecting during the night
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »
Hi;
    I have had my Radarbox less than a week and have noticed that every night at 12:30am the USB hardware disconnects.  When I unplug and plug it back in everything works until the next night at 12:30pm.  I have Vista Home Premium on an HP notebook with all the latest patches and no other programs active.  I have searched and found another instance of this happening, but no solution was mentioned.  Is Vista doing something at that time to cause the hardware to time out?

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
Re: Radarbox disconnecting during the night
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
You haven't got any automatic backups going on at that time have you?
15 Miles East of EGNJ

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
I would check what power saving set5tings you have set up and if possible dissable them, also check for USB standby settings which could switch off the usb if nothing detected for a while.

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:16:31 AM »
Agreed Roadrunner, but from what I make of it it only happens at 12.30 ish
15 Miles East of EGNJ

EK01

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
Speedwagon,

Go into Programs > Accessories > System Tools and check your Task Scheduler. It sounds as if something may be programmed to run at 12.30 which may be disconnecting the RB.

Cheers,

Ian

SpeedWagon

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »
Okay, this has gotten really weird, I went into task manager and turned off the System Restore (SR) task which was running at that time.  This seemed to work until I reached up and turned off the desk lamp, it disconnected.  Turned on lamp, turned off lamp, disconnect again.  Didn't do it a third time.  This morning it did it again when I cycled the lamp.  Looks like I should put a filter on the lamp or the computer.

jgrloit

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »
Just a quick check - you are using a standard multiway socket, and NOT a special one for a computer system, with the auto-switch off facility for peripherals when the primary socket ceases to draw power are you?
The latter would give these problems if the lamp was in the computer socket!!!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:13:03 PM »
Hi SW, never had this problem with ordinary incandescent light bulb lamps, but fluorescent lamp electronics can cause a lot of interference, someone in here remarked on the same effect being caused by halogen bulbs, although (AFAIK) these usually only have a low voltage transformer rather than a starter - as do sodium/mercury vapour street lamps.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

SpeedWagon

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:10:56 AM »
  Thanks for all the suggestions, I have moved the lamp to a separate filtered outlet on my UPS.  I still find it interesting that the box would disconnect and nothing else seem to be affected.

TedLoon

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 04:12:19 AM »
As a Broadband engneer I have to deal with customers Broadband dissconecting for no reason. Some of the faults are caused by REIN.......Random Electrical Impulse Noise.... This can be caused by anything from central heating turning on to a mobile phone charger....Xmas is very busy (dodgy tree lights)..Iwonder if the RB is effected by this?????

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
Think I'll just put tinsel around my RB box and no lights this year then :0)
15 Miles East of EGNJ

TedLoon

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Baubles

freqhopping

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:05 AM »
I just discovered that turning on/off the fluorescent light over my desk causes the RB to disconnect.  However the RB is nowhere near the light or computer.  It's in my attic and about 15-20 feet away.  That would explain why it disconnects when I leave for work in the morning (right after turning the light off). Easy to deal with now that I know about it.

Update: Or maybe not. I made sure all lights were off and the RB was still working before I left for work.  I came home to find it disconnected just about the time I left.  Sometimes I get lucky and it stays connected all day.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:18:43 AM by freqhopping »