AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Binoculars / Spotting Scope  (Read 25305 times)

Rural Outpost

• Still waiting to pick up a DAN AIR HS748 !
Binoculars / Spotting Scope
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:27:22 AM »

Hi,

I am currently looking to purchase a new pair of bins or scope for viewing aircraft. Most of my viewing is with overflights so need something fairly powerful that will not cost me the earth. The scope I currently have is a Russian ZT8-24x40m but it is on its last legs.I have purchased a couple of pairs of binoculars over the last couple of years but within a couple of months these have broken showing double vision. I have also found that very powerful binoculars mean that you lose clarity. I would be very grateful if anyone could recommend anything which is suitable and not overly expensive.

Regards
Rural Outpost

bailey_uk

Re: Binoculars / Spotting Scope
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
Interesting question, I was going to ask the same thing!
Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »
If you are not looking for high power a 10 x 50 gives best light gathering and clarity. If you divide the second figure (diameter of objective lens in mm) by the first figure (magnification) it will give you the light factor. The higher the light factor the greater the clarity.
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

prbflight

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
I use the Bushnell 16X32 188FT at 1000 YDS binocular.  They give an excellent field of view for the magnification.  They are small and light and easy to hold while craning your neck to track an aircraft at 32-40,000'.  The field of view allows you to hold steady and not lose the aircraft while panning.  I have tried others more powerful and with zooming capabilities and one with more power but less field of vision and I wouldn't recommend them due to weight and/or field of vision.  I have been using these binoculars for over 5 years and they have held up to all kinds of abuse in the field.  I can't remember what I paid for them but it was nothing too dear.  Do a web search for Bushnell and check them out.

Paul@cyyb

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
i use a navy surplus 30x100 but you must use them on a support otherwise you get sick and you cannot hold them still, in my car a 10x50 is enough otherwise you tremble too much and can't see well, also i have a 7x 50 which are adequate enough. it depends on the distance of the planes, for mil ones that fly low that are very frequent where i live the 7x50 otherwise you can't catch them. first comes the plane, then you hear them
saluti
frank near romeo 54, danger 39
ciao.
frank

Rural Outpost

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »

Many thanks for your replies.

Having done a google search on the bushnell 16x32 I have found a pair of powerview folding binoculars priced at about £36. Not sure if these are the same ones you are talking about Viking9 ? As I am about to move house I am not rushing into to buying anything, well not for about 2 weeks, so would welcome any other comments as other users obviously have the same qustion.

Thanks again
Rural Outpost

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
I use a set of Olympus 12 x 50 EXPS I Binoculars.  In fact I was so impressed, my wife has an identical pair for birdwatching.  They also get excellent reviews at Amazon.

They cost me £105 a year ago.

Rural Outpost

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »
The olympus bins do have good reviews. I am now back up and runing again after moving house. The cost of moving is unbelievable as I am not an MP ! I wil wait to see what comes up in the sales. Thanks for your replies.

Rural Outpost.....even more rural after the move

Mr Chips

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »
REF binoculars. I personnaly would steer clear of any magnification over x10.
Large magnifications with small object lenses offer low light levels to the eye,
small field of view and small exit lenses.A good general guide is a factor of 5
when you divide the object lense by the magnification,50mm÷10=5-           
40mm÷8=5,  30  ÷6=5.The larger the object lense the more light enters and the heavier they are, the smaller the object lense the wider the field of view and lighter they are Telescopes of 30 50 80 mag are excellent for static objects ie birds but useless for moving objects ie, birds.You pays your money ,and takes your choice.I also think traditional binocs give better stereo vision than penta prisms.

Rural Outpost

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »
Thanks Mr Chips. If only choosing a descent pair of bins was simple.

If anyone identifies a descent pair in a sale please give me a shout. Although I am fairly close up when visiting Heathrow or Bournemouth I do spend much of my time looking at OTT dots.

Rural Outpost

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »
Hi RO, binocular wise, I can thoroughly recommend Carl Zeiss 10 x 50, Jenoptem are very good, the Dekarem with special multi-coating are superb, you can usually find these on eBay (not available new AFIK).   Bins do need to be treated with respect or the prisms within can move a fraction - this throws the collimation out and gives the double vision.    At Royal Cornwall Show last weekend, a trade stand had a 30 - 90x spotting scope (£150, but identical apart from different name on eBay <£70) with approx 80mm objective lens.    I was very impressed with the performance, but didn't get one as I was sure I'd find them on eBay cheaper.    A good tripod is essential though.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Bethsalem

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
On a more limited budget you can get a brand new pair of Bresser 10X50's for £30.  I use these all the time and find them very good.  Likewise I use a 20X60 Opticron Piccolo which I picked up in excellent condition on ebay for £40, which is optically wonderful.  My tripod is a Vanguard model and cost me only £15, again secondhand from ebay, which I use with both the binos and the scope.  So I've spent £85 and have what I consider a really good viewing kit.

Rural Outpost

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
Well after all the good advice I went onto Ebay and have purchased a pair of Tasco 10 x 50 for £16 ! £ 4was for the packing. If I drop them I haven't wasted too much money. I ordered them on Friday and they tuned up today. They seem quite good on first use this evening. They will certainly do for now until I can afford some posher bins.

Regards
Rural Outpost

Rural Outpost

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 11:39:43 AM »
3 months later the cheap binos are still in good working order, though I could do with something more powerful. Has anyone recently purchased a good spotting scope or binos at a reasonable price ?

Regards
RO

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
What do you have in mind as a "reasonable price".