AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow running; Software/Hardware?...  (Read 5764 times)

Speedbird London

Slow running; Software/Hardware?...
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
Hello everyone.  Had the box for a couple of weeks now and it's all I expected it to be, but I am a little dissapointed with the overall running speed of (previously quick) PC with Radar box up and running.

I have XP with SP2.

It reminds me of an DX25 computer I had years ago; click on something, wait for several seconds then response occurs.  In some cases, such as invoking "Quick Filter" nothing at all happens and requires a second click to get it going.  Sometimes it really seems to be staggering.

My bespoke machine has a 3Ghz Pentium 4 with 1Gig of RAM on a small ASUS mother board.  It doesn't seem to matter if other software is running or if the network is connected, it just seems to have a hard job of processing anything and I can hear the hard disk working constantly.

Maybe the video card isn't up to it or my broadband is slow but it seems to be fine otherwise.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Ed

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Slow running; Software/Hardware?...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
Hi Ed,

What version of the RadarBox software are you running - is it RadarBox 2009?

When you look at the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and look at the processes tab, what %age of the CPU is ANRB.exe using - you can sort to have the maximum %age at the top.  What else is using the CPU at the same time in the Processes list?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »
Also check your AntiVirus, explained in the post below and as it could be checking the RadarBox files constantly when you run it

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1764.0
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Speedbird London

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:15 PM »
Not sure how to reply to individual respondents but, anyway...

Yes, running the 2009 version and the CPU usage seems to peak at around 60%.
There's a long list of other things running, (apparently) but it would take an hour to type them all!  I'd love to know what they all are..

ANRB.exe seems to use about 82.5 k "Mem Usage".  How do I configure the PC to show max Percentage program use ?

Then, following the link - I DO have AVG anti-virus and disabling it allows ANRB to work with a noticable increase in speed - Excellent!

Thanks so much guys :-)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
Then, following the link - I DO have AVG anti-virus and disabling it allows ANRB to work with a noticable increase in speed - Excellent!

Excellent until you get a virus infection, that is ...

Better to keep AVG running and configure it to ignore the RadarBox folder, as outlined in the thread linked above.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
If Speedbird London has followed the instructions at the link, then he hasn't disabled AVG, he's just excluded the RB directory from constant checking.

Speedbird London

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »
Yes, just to clarify: I initially disabled the whole AVG package to see if it made a difference, then, got a little more organised and placed Radarbox in the exceptions area of AVG.

I must say the ADS is a remarkable system and even better that we can access it like this.  It would have been a really good tool to have in the actual speedbird London HF station and would have enabled us to give a much better service - if you can tell where an A/C is actually located, you know exactly where to point the aerials to best effect - interesting; using an ultra modern system to make an older system more effective.  We would probably have qualified for the "Pro" version without the 5 mins delay too!  I wonder if Stockholm Radio have a couple? if not, they should have...

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

Ed

daveg4otu

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »
There's a long list of other things running,

That is probably half your problem - anything over 40 running processes is really too many .

For instance- this machine - built several years ago for FlightSim- WinXP-SP3/AMD 3000XP/768MB ddram/Ti4200 GPU/Twin monitors (so really a bit long in the tooth)....

Currently showing 29 Running processes including ANRB, Notepad and Int Explorer(two windows)....goes like the clappers.

Another thing - dump AVG and get either AVAST or AVIRA- both free - both far more efficient thaan  AVG and less resource grabbing.
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm