AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Before/After Extender & ELAD 1090  (Read 23688 times)

GlynH

Re: Before/After Extender & ELAD 1090
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
I have yet to use 'proper' low loss coax, so I am looking forward to that day.

Have you tried the 'grown-up coax yet t1mb0?

I think you might be infor a pleasant surprise if your experience is anything like my friend Terry who lives close by.

He uses an external BS100 or something with the ELAD pre-amp and has been using RG58 or similar coax since he installed.

When we were out one day I 'treated' him to a nice new piece of Westflex 103 and he actually got round to fitting it about a week ago.

What a difference - his usual 300-400 MyFlights has gone up to around 600-700.

Hopefully he will stop by and correct my facts & figures but he has found the Westflex 103 has given his RB a new lease of life.

I knew it would make a difference - I had no idea of just how much difference.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

t1mb0

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
westflex 103 yes, all done
12m SE of EGHI

fatkat

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »
Not bad going at all to get that gap through the Welsh mountains. Your airband coverage should be pretty impressive too.

Put my antenna up another 10ft on Friday and it doesn't seem to have made much difference, in fact coverage over Scotland and NE seems to have dropped off a bit but it is a bit close to another antenna and I may have changed the orientation of the radials.

does altering the dirrection of the radials make much difference ?

the only reason I ask is that I have a similar antenna [radarmax]  that has the same  style construction.

location location location .........means everything !  I live in a bungalow  in a dip on top of a shallow hill    ...like living in a saucer    my set allows  me to see from the humber to the bristol estuary  in a 100nm swaith across the midlands ....wondering if altering the ground plane spike orientation will change things ....but its a pain getting up to the antenna to try it on the off chance .

t1mb0

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »
There's not much you can do about seeing through hills.
As you can see from my last posted screenshot I have an unobstructed clear view practically to northern Spain, but relief to my north/north east prevents the same luxury in that direction.
12m SE of EGHI