AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of Range - Sorted  (Read 11935 times)

9M-ISJ

Loss of Range - Sorted
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
Hello,

A few of you may recall that I recently had an almost total loss of range with my Radarbox, not sure if it was down to static or something else.

However the good news is that thanks to the VERY KIND help of Andre at AirNav I am now back up and fully running once more.

The level of customer service that I have had from AirNav goes above and beyond anything I could have hoped for and is very good to see in this day and age.

So, back to a screen full of plots at last! :-))

Johnn

• Y'ello
Re: Loss of Range - Sorted
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
Hi, What was the problem that gave you less range?
Thanks
Johnn -

9M-ISJ

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »
Hi,

No idea. Either a mystery burst of static (maybe from a hire car in the US, which was 'shocking' me everytime I got out of it) or through some other unknown issue

Paul

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Hi,
No idea. Either a mystery burst of static (maybe from a hire car in the US, which was 'shocking' me everytime I got out of it) or through some other unknown issue
Paul

Hi Paul, this is rather interesting.    Static can be induced in an antenna, by wind motion around it - especially hot, dry wind.   Was the antenna on the car roof when it was in motion and connected to the RB, or was it on the roof when car in motion, and then re-connected to RB?    I expect you can see where I'm going with this - was a static charge building up on the antenna and then discharged through the RB, the same as when you get out of the car, you get the shock...........
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
Oh on, not the "static" issue again :-(

I thought that we'd done this one to death with all the other threads.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »
Hi,

No. Aerial was on its metal CD on the parcel shelf at the back of the car while we were in motion and was only stuck to the roof while the car was parked up.

Also we were in the deep South in Feb (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Miss, Tenn, and Ark) so not all that hot or dry!

But there is no getting away from the fact that the car kept 'shocking' me when I got out... Chevys**tbox that it was.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:56:59 PM by 9M-ISJ »

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:50:20 PM »
Hi Allocator, are you having some bad days lately?;-)   I'm just interested in the exact circumstances that Paul's RB was subjected to prior to going U/S - something which could could be of benefit to all of us.    ESD is something which can knock out any electronics - on a very small scale - to lightning strike - to energy from solar flares taking out the most sophisticated satellites -  so I'm sorry if I'm boring you!    

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply - that's that theory out the window.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »
Hey, it was said tongue-in-cheek :-)

No, I'm no worse today than any other day, still a grumpy b****r

Besides, it's never been a static problem, its been that BN2T stooging around at FL100 zapping the boxes :-)

9M-ISJ

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
No BN2T's in hill billy country.... lots of P3s, but they were all parked up at Greenville Center

:-))

E14

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:32 PM »
Was it the same box or a replacement?
1 mile west of EGLC (London city Airport)

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
Hi Allocator, no offence was taken as being intended - otherwise my reply would've been somewhat more caustic!     I think it's more likely birds from the other side doing for us (and the location map).    I'd better go steady or I'll be getting a Tarbat style writ..............    :-0

9M-ISJ

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »
Would seem to be a different unit, as I have had to change my user details and password.

I am just happy to be up and running again
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:46:57 PM by 9M-ISJ »

mdobuk21

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
hi guys, just to carry on the loss of range thread a little longer!!, sometimes i have no mes/sec at all showing, but when i touch the end of the antenna cable it suddenley boosts upto around 50-150 mes/sec! very strange and annoying. This is just with the standard antenna in leeds

cheers for any replys
Mark

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »
Hi Allocator, no offence was taken as being intended - otherwise my reply would've been somewhat more caustic!     I think it's more likely birds from the other side doing for us (and the location map).    I'd better go steady or I'll be getting a Tarbat style writ..............    :-0

Yes, no problems there CoastGuardJon - just a bit of "banter" :-)

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »
Hi Allocator so it was the BN2Ts wot dun it then. Damn I was sure it was G-PSNI. LOL.
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.