anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any good places to go at Heathrow with the car for plane spotting?  (Read 10581 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
Any places have good views of take off or landings on the run ways?
I would of thought the Radar box would be full up with aircraft at Heathrow!

Thanks
Johnn -

colinhall

Re: Any good places to go at Heathrow with the car for plane spotting?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »
Hi Johnn,  Just had an e-mail from Sergeant Baird. The ID cards are for Heathrow and London City only at the moment because they are the only two that come under there wing as such.  He is talking with other forces but the checks that he does are more thorough than other forces with Heathrow being the largest airport. It is a long way away but he tring his best.  Martin says the more that join his scheme the better chance he has of getting other forces to follow suit.
As for heathrow if you go to the back of the Rennaisance  Hotel there is a small car park you are allowed to go into and only costs you £3 for 3 hours and there is a small platform to stand on specially for us, and yes the Radar box really comes into use.

Colin.

phil zech

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »
Johnn , Colin.

I have been to that car park at LHR, but only at weekends , I travel down from MAN.

It costs £5 if you want to stay all day, normally opens 8 ish or whenever chap opens barrier, you can then stay as long as you want for that day.

Rennaisance Hotel toilets can be used and there is a McDonalds just across Bath Road.

However , Mon-Fri, the car park may be full as the 3 offices behind it would be open for business.

Note.   I have also stayed at the Rennaissance Hotel in a runway view room, pricey but well worth the money, awoke to the sight of a Singapore A380 landing in front of you,if wind in right direction !!

Cheers

Phil

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
Hi Colin, Thanks for emailing!, I have just sent off for the Heathrow ID card!
Thanks for your help!
Johnn

Thanks Phil for the info, I was looking at the rennaissance hotel and looking at the club rooms to stay in - How much did you pay for your room if you dont mind me asking?,
Thanks John
Johnn -

phil zech

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
Hi Johnn,

Not at all.

Its about £110 per room per night,  includes parking , full English buffet breakfast (overlooking runway), bus hoppa ticket , and use of executive lounge with free tea, coffee , soft drinks again overlooking runway.

As I said, quite pricey , but well worth it, get the ANRB set up and you are away!!

Can be reserved in advance on Marriott website , and can cancel up to 3 pm on date of arrival , pay on departure.

Cheers

Phil

colinhall

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
Morning Johnn,
 Went to Heathrow Saturday and was there for 5 hrs, had a great day .After counting up had got 226 no,s inc 4 C17,s that flew over so the ANRB really was very helpful. Had 4 passer byes having a look at the screen and go really interested in it so looks like there will be a few more bying it. Had my Heathrow ID card wiyh me ,got stopped once by the police when I was parked round the back off the BMI shed ,showed them the card ,did a quick call on there radio,said ok but please dont be there too long.
Colin.

colinhall

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »
Morning Phil,
If you look into one of the airplane mags they were advertising a room at the Rennaisance for under £100. Sorry cant remember which mag though,I get so many del to me because the wife got a years supply for me for xmas.
Colin.

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
HI Colin, Could you please tell me how long it was untill you got your Heathrow ID card?
Thanks John
Johnn -

colinhall

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 06:14:26 AM »
Hi Johnn
The card took about 3 weeks.I e-mailed Sargeant Baird when I hadn,t heard anything,the reply was he was waiting for the last security check to come in.Martin does keep you updated on its progress if youe-mail him.I received an e-mail 3 days ago from Martinm,there is to be a meeting with Mr Seex from "LAAS" and the Head of BAA security at Heathrow and there are 150 seats for members to join in. Hopefully these meetings will be about every 3 months to keep us all up to date on how things are going. Hopefully, and thats if Martin gets time with his Police duties as well.The more members to join this the better.

Colin.