AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.  (Read 60247 times)

Falcon

Re: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2009, 01:01:03 AM »
It's up it's up. Finally the aerial was mounted on the roof this evening. Initial thoughts?

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!

I have attached a screen shot of the polar diagram running for approx 2 hourss. I have had Tornados a first for me and well the polar diagram says it all. The aerial is on a 6ft pole on the chimney stack.

I can't wait for a full day of traffic. My flights would normally be showing around 10 maybe 14 aircraft on a good night late evening .This evening after it was erected I was in the 50+ mark.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Do you need any help in keeping yourself on the ground? A 400 - 500 percent improvement would get me jumping. Look forward to seeing the full day polar.

Regards,
Darryl

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »
Hi Darrl boy has this hobby really taken off now (no pun intended). I run the RB overnight almost every night. With the supplied antenna mounted indoors at 8am I would normally have about 140 aircraft recorded. This morning the first for the DPD outside, I had 320 at 8am. Happy? No euphoric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

spikem

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »
Hi John

Congrats mate on getting it up and running. I had an idea you wouldn't be dissapointed. Give us a look at your polar plot to see the improvement.

Martin

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
HI Martin thrilled with it, what a change. I missed attaching the polar diagram last night dohh!!! In work now but I'll post it later this evening.
John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »
Hi all as discussed here is the polar diagram for the DPD aerial mounted externally. This is it after its first 24 hours.

I'm thrilled with the increase in contacts. it has already got me a range of aircraft types and Airlines which I had not logged before.

Maybe it's just me but does the polar diagram not look a bit like a map of Northern Ireland?

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:47:15 PM by Canonjohns40D »

Ralph

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »
Hi All

Here is another happy customer of DPD antennas.

Attached is my polar diagram centered at Wakefield West Yorkshire.
The antenna is mounted on a pole one meter above my roof ridge line.

The antenna has given me an overall improvement of about 45%.
The polar diagram was taken after 24Hrs of the antenna being installed and running.

Cheers for now.....Ralph

hamerhead

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »
hi.
can you please tell me de name of the antena, i just got my airnav 2009 box and will be sending data from jfk, la guardia and erw 3 big airports in my area.
hava a good day.

hamerhead

Falcon

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
Hi Darrl boy has this hobby really taken off now (no pun intended). I run the RB overnight almost every night. With the supplied antenna mounted indoors at 8am I would normally have about 140 aircraft recorded. This morning the first for the DPD outside, I had 320 at 8am. Happy? No euphoric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi John,

I purchased the DPD and have had it running on the roof for a couple of months with a 100' of LMR400 with no amp and am seeing excellent results for my area. The areas that aren't blocked by hills I am getting 200+ nm with aircraft at cruising altitude and all the way down to 200-300' at an airport 20nm away and about 2000-3000' at 34nm away and that's with the signal going between the gaps in the hills in my area.

It's good to hear you are also happy with your antenna. I didn't see your reply until today.

Regards,
Darryl
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:45:24 PM by Falcon »

shadowman

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
hamerhead,

Here is the link to the antenna.

ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Model Antenna
http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
Hi Darryl, are you in the UK, if so who supplied the LMR400, and how much does it cost please?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Falcon

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »
Hi Darryl, are you in the UK, if so who supplied the LMR400, and how much does it cost please?
Hi,

I purchased it from these guy here http://www.infinitecables.com/antenna_cable-nm-nf.html I purchased 100' of LMR400, and a 3' pigtail of LMR195 to go from the LMR400 to the RB with the connectors on them. I'm not in the UK. I was concerned about the total length and signal loss but from what I had read about the DPD antenna and the LMR400, I thought I may have a chance of making it work without an amp, and it turns out I was right, at least for my installation. I may pickup more aircraft or hold onto aircraft for a longer period of time with a mast head pre-amp, but at this point with the results I am getting I don't feel compelled to fork out the extra cash.

Regards,
Darryl
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:20:18 AM by Falcon »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Hi Darryl, many thanks for the link, I was hoping for a UK source, but c'est la vie!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2009, 09:40:51 PM »
Hi Darryl, many thanks for the link, I was hoping for a UK source, but c'est la vie!

If you are merely trying to find a UK source of LM 400, this company came up on an internet search.

http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/department/bulk_cable/

I have no idea whether they are good, bad or indifferent, or indeed their price is good or bad.