AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.  (Read 60027 times)

Yachtie45

Re: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
Ok back to the antenna DPD ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Model

in view of the warning "Just like any product which connects to an antenna you can choose what antenna you want, but you need to be aware of grounding antennas in certain conditions"

I am still uncertain whether above mentioned antenna is DC-Ground or not.

Since I developed some scepticism against Front Page Advertisements
I now ask some new owners, has anyone of you probed with a Volt-Ohm-Meter,
at that pigtail cable's end is there any resistance between the inner contact and the outer contact of the connector ?
If the answer is NO ( Zero Ohm) then the ant may be grounded.

Even better check following
Is there any Resistance between the inner contact and baremetal surface of the brackets which will be clamped to the mast ?
If the answer is NO (practically a short) then the antenna is on DC-Ground when fixed to the mast (hopefully grounded in the first place)

Any results appreciated

kind regards
Klaus

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »
My supllied attenna lead is maked RG-174.

Hi Dud, thanks for that, now I've looked very closely at the cable in daylight, I've found the rather faint RG-174 marking as well.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

flightchecker

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
I am still uncertain whether above mentioned antenna is DC-Ground or not.

I'll bet it isn't, Klaus ! Apologizes for being THAT pessimistic, "World is bad". :-(

Karl
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:27:38 AM by flightchecker »

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
Hi All, had my external aerial rigged today, 152 miles range now to the south east and alot more viewed than before.
http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm
Having problems with the scanner aerial, no reception at all. Westflex 103 cable same as RB, so think there must be a problem with the Sky Scan DX V1300 Discone Radio Scanner Antenna Aerial. Will try swapping aerials with one we know works first, but that will be next week now. HoHum...
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

flightchecker

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
Hi All, had my external aerial rigged today, 152 miles range now to the south east and alot more viewed than before.
http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm

excellent choice, congrets

Karl

anorak

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
Thanks Karl, 88msg/sec and more flights than I`m used to, a big improvement over the loft set up, I have even turned the network off to concentrate better.  Now I can take the laptop out and about and see what its like high up on Exmoor, when the snow clears. Just need to get the scanner aerial sorted.

Cheers All,   Dave.

Really

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Thanks Karl, 88msg/sec and more flights than I`m used to, a big improvement over the loft set up, I have even turned the network off to concentrate better.  Now I can take the laptop out and about and see what its like high up on Exmoor, when the snow clears. Just need to get the scanner aerial sorted.

Cheers All,   Dave.

Are you seeing traffic at lower flight levels than before?

flightchecker

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
Hi Dave,

just in case, should your scanner antenna have given up, there is a good alternative:

http://www.sirioantenne.it/prodotti_ant.php?idc=1011280996&idg=1008171225&idp=104

Outstanding in terms of its mechanical machining and its electrical specifications. I'm already running it for quite a long time , both Scanner- and Virtual Radar- application. Very happy with it, even "looking good" :-)
On the other hand, I don't think your antenna itself has given up. "Just mechanics". Looks like its due to a connector, that the coax lost contact with. Most hopefully not to be the coax itself suffering "waterpenetration".

Regards

Karl

anorak

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »
Hi, it`s a new item haven`t had time to check if the aerial is a dud yet.

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
HI Guys

A quick update on the antenna. Overnight I had an email from Dave at dpdproductions. He advised me mine is enroute. He has given me details to be able to track the package so I'll give an update on it's arrival.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

spikem

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 09:17:19 PM »
Well, SDB antenna arrived this morning ( After VAT man had his £12 Cut) , all well packaged and undamaged.

I have taken a few photos for thoses that are interested to show the genaral quality of the manufacture. Let me first apologize for the focus being a bit out as I haven't quite mastered macro on this new camera but you can see that the antenna is totally enclosed  in a waterproof grey plastic tube and sealed at both ends and has a pigtail fitted to an N connector.

It comes with a 4 page instruction sheet and 2 plastic covered jubilee clips along with a few cable ties.

As the weather was quite favourable I decided to venture onto the roof and get the job done before the wife had time to lecture me about my age etc and managed to complete the job without any problems. 10 metres westlake 103 and a sma/N plug pigtail at the radarbox end were used to save stressing the connectors. Disregard the thin cable to the side of the antenna photo on the roof as it is a guy for hoisting a HF Wire.

As for performance, I can only say that after a few hours use I am well impressed with the outcome. My home location is not far from Liverpool and just above sea level. I was originally using the supplied antenna in the loft and getting around an 80 Mile radius with a large gap over Wales. This has now improved to a 165-175 in an almost circular pattern. Of course the extra 6ft or so in height  has made a difference but it seems to be performing as it should and for my use is more than adeqate.

I was hoping to show a before and after screenshot but for some reason cannot access the screenshots folder for the previous shots. I am on Vista and can save a Shot to the  screenshot folder and see my previous ones but cannot see it through My Computer or file>screenshot>explore. I have looked in the recycle bin and still no sign  ...any ideas anyone?  Anyhow I have just managed to get one of the SDB range to give you an idea.

Spikem

spikem

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
More Pics

spikem

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
Screenshot

Really

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »
Can you tell me if you are seeing more lower level traffic now at your local airport? what sort of level can you see down to?

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 12:24:16 AM »
Hi Spikem glad to see the aerial has arrived and what appears to be an improvement in coverage. I'd like to see your comparison shots. Mine is due anyday now also.Can you please confirm the cable and connections you are using and where might i get them. i am in Northern ireland and not sure a local source exists.I was promised some assistance on this, not from the site i hasten to add,  but it never materialised.

Regards

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.