anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.  (Read 60019 times)

oceans777

Excellent new antenna in the U.S.
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:27:14 AM »
I recently bought the new ADS-B antenna from DPD Productions and have it mounted on my roof, about ten feet above the rooftop. Absolutely outstanding antenna for Radar Box, it gets way better coverage just running into my 45 feet of LMR-400 than the three other antennas I have tried using with the mast-mounted Elad Pre Amp. I have now just taken the pre-amp down completely as this antenna works better without it.

Link:
http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html

Scroll down to very bottom of page for pictures and complete info on the antenna.   
I do not know if he ships out of the U.S.

Cost is about $86.95 and I have had numerous email exchanges with Dave, the owner of DPD and he is very responsive and really knows antennas. I also have his LP Miltenna for UHF and it too provides amazing performance.

For ADS-B before I never could "see" below 6500 feet before and am now seeing down to the runway at close airports and as low as 500 feet at KLAX, despite the mountains all around me. Traffic increase is big and range is much improved.

I'm not affiliated with DPD in any way just passing on a great product finally here in the U.S. that doesn't cost a fortune or need amps, etc.

Previously I have used the RadarRama, the 1050 antenna and the very expensive MyDEL BS1100 all mounted at the same height, all ran through pre-amp. Results varied from ok to poor. (I still cannot get any support for the Elad pre-amp or diplexer, short of sending them to the U.K. despite the $365 price.) Wish I had found this antenna before shelling out a fortune on seriously over-priced, underwhelming antenna systems and pre-amps that somehow start rusting inside after a week in Southern California with no rain! Sorry - end of rant. :-)

Just passing this along - hope it's helpful for anyone having trouble finding antennas in U.S.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:41:06 AM by oceans777 »

spikem

Re: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »
Thanks for that. Looks ideal for our use. Good amount of gain on there. as well. Just need to sort out how to get one to the uk.

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
Hi oceans777

It seems that You are very glad with Your new DPD antenna. Good !
Could You please post a screenshot of a polar diagram with the Mode-s Sinal Maximum Range to apreciate this ?

Thanks in advance - Juan

oceans777

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »
Juan,

I sure will - my Mac Book Pro is at Apple for a new logic board so it may be a few days but I will post soon as back online with it.
Note that I live deep in the LA mountains to the north with high ranges all a round me so it's not going to reach max mode-s ranges by any means and the polar diagram won't look like those in unobstructed areas but it's much improved over my previous. I will find some older polars and post those too.
Should have the computer back early next week and I will set up on the other laptop meanwhile but it's a little slow for RB.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:28:14 PM by oceans777 »

oceans777

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »

Spikem,

I checked with DPD and they do ship to the UK. Very well packed too, so you should be ok.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
To anyone buying from the USA. Note that customs may charge VAT to the carrier. If the carrier is the post office they will charge a handling fee for paying the VAT up front. I recently paid £8 handling fee on an item on which the VAT was £3.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

spikem

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
I have been given a quote of $126.45 (around £93) inc postage. They will send you a paypal invoice for payment. Looks very promising.

spikem

Fenris

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
To anyone buying from the USA. Note that customs may charge VAT to the carrier. If the carrier is the post office they will charge a handling fee for paying the VAT up front. I recently paid £8 handling fee on an item on which the VAT was £3.

Tom

It's worth pointing out that amateur radio equipment and accessories are zero rated for duty, but not for VAT of course, so just in case customs try to get you for duty ensure that you get the sender to specify Commodity Code No. 85299040000 to ensure that no duty is charged.

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:58:02 AM »
HI Guys I also contacted DPD and found them very helpful in answering my questions etc etc. Anyhow I have an aerial enroute to me in Northern Ireland. Paypal invoice as discussed and like Spikem a cost of $126.45. DPD advise, "we  send it as if it's person to person, and say it's a ham radio antenna. We can email the receipt and there's no commercial packaging".

I'll keep you posted on progress on both the arrival and once I get a volunteer to have it erected and it is operational.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

peteeds

• RADIO AMATEUR (2W1FJZ - MW3PET )
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »
Hy guys, I also have placed an order for this antenna & awaiting delivery, will post on here when up & running. Spoke with dave at DPD and he says they are selling like hot cakes at the moment so delivery could be anything up to 2 weeks. looking forward to the results.
                            cheers all Peteeds.

spikem

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »
Hi Guys

Mine is also on its way, but I am in a bit of a dillemma  over the cable and connectors.

As the low-loss cables are quite thick I  am wary of using a sma plug directly on the cable at the RB end or an Nplug to sma adapter as I have visions of this damaging the RB sma connection on the circuit board at some point. One way around this is to use a fly lead from the RB to the connector on the cable.

Has anyone done this, what cable was used and was there any significant loss involved?.

spikem

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
Hi Spikem

I bought my cable assembly from Airbandonline, and they supplied a flylead  from the Westflex cable which works a treat - no idea what the flylead cable is, though.  Pic attached.

Rod
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:24:33 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

spikem

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »
Thanks for that Rod . I will take a look.

spikem

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:57 AM »
Does anyone know, or can AirNav tell us, what cable rating is used in the supplied aerial?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »
Spikem - suggest you speak to pete at at http://www.garex.co.uk/

Absolutely nothing he doesn't know about aerials and cables and I can thoroughly recommend products, services and prices.

(No connection with me whatsoever)

JB