anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Missing aircraft  (Read 4438 times)

Boudewijn

Missing aircraft
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:28:53 AM »
If I look at the original Airnav RadarBox software and then look at Radarbox24 on my own account, there is a big difference. For example, 261 and 185.
Even when I look at the general overview of RB24, I see planes that I do not see in my account. For example MLAT, lifeliners, police helicopters etc. even if they fly right above my head.

Runway 31

Re: Missing aircraft
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Are these aircraft that you say are missing showing as ADS-B as MLAT aircraft don't show on the on your box map

Alan

Boudewijn

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:10:33 PM »
Hi Alan,

They are MLAT indeed.
Why can't I see them on my own account?
Would be nice because so I can put them in my fleet.

Boudewijn

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
You should be able to see them on the grid but not the map.  As they are not ADS-B equipped the don't give positional information so cant show on the map

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:40:37 AM »
If you are really serious to see MLAT plane on your local map, then it is possible if you feed Flightaware. They feed-back MLAT data to the feeding station which displays MLAT planes on local map of the feeder station.

You can feed Flightaware from Windows or Mac computer if you install Planeplotter software. I think Flightaware provides a free of cost key for Planeplotter to those who feed them.

Alternatively you can feed from a Linux computer. The easiest way is to purchase a Raspberry Pi, a DVB-T (RTL2832U+ R820T2) dongle, and a home made or commercial antenna.

On RPi's microSD card, install Raspbian OS image, then install dump1090 and Flightaware feeder piaware.

See this thread for details :

Bake a Pi

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:33:12 AM by abcd567 »

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:14 AM »
Its worth remembering that you cant do MLAT on your own.  You need 3 or 4 compatible receivers in the vicinity to allow for triangulation to get MLAT to work.   

Its also worth remembering that Radarbox receivers cant be used for MLAT as they don't have suitable timing.   I tend to  use Planeplotter for MLAT purposes.

Radarbox24 shows MLAT when it is available from its feeds

Alan

Boudewijn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »
Hello Alan and abcd567,

Now, I know why I dont see MLAT.
Tnx for replying.

grtz Boudewijn