AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Populates Records  (Read 21123 times)

abrad41

Re: Populates Records
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
AirNav Support Or Development.

Is there any way we could choose what we want entered in our Mylog file - as I have said above ModeS & Reg would be good for me, Then I could get all the details from my Navdata file.

Thank you for your help

Andy

ACW367

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »
Right, so maybe it won't overwrite data in a field if there is any data in the field?  If the field is blank, it writes from NavData/Server?

I agree.  This even relates to the ... aircraft type field.  I regularly change these to the correct aircraft type in Navdata, but when I populate MyLog with the aim of getting those changed aircraft types onto that database nothing happens to those records and MyLog still shows as ...

However as soon as you delete the ... in Mylog to leave the type field blank, and then populate, it picks up the change from Navdata.  This is incredibly time consuming if you pick up lots of new aircraft on a day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:43:32 PM by ACW367 »

abrad41

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »
Any comments from Airnav.

Is there anyway round this problem, What is the point of having a master database ie Navdata.db.3, when it is doing no good in the respect of populating the Mylog.db3.

Please AirNav look at this and check it out.

Andy

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
The databases are both SQL databases and can therefore be easily manipulated using any 3rd party SQL editor - this was why AirNav changed form their original "AirNav" database format, because users wanted to be able got get into the guts of the databases.

I use SQL Maestro, which is very powerful and I've only just scratched the surface with what it can do.  Working on copies of the databases, I have managed to destroy them completely - so top tip is to always keep a backup of your databases and only work on the copies.

I'm sure that it would be easy to delete all the "..." fields in MyLog.db3, as it would to make any other batch changes required.  I know that tarbat has done a fair bit of work with the raw SQL databases, so he might be able to advise.  Do a Furoum search for SQL Maestro to read the posts.

That warning again - it's easy to corrupt the databases if you don't know what you are doing!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 04:25:37 PM »
abrad41,

We do read the posts, there is no need indivudally call us in each post and move the post up just to get our attention :)

Hold on while we find the exact rules to population. It is populating the empty entries though will find out what it does when entries are already there.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

abrad41

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
AirNav

I do apologize, but as you can appreciate some of us do get a little involved with what we are trying to sort out and in the long run we are only trying to help you sort the problems out too, and make a better product for everyone.  As I said I apologize and I will try to be more patent in the future.

Allocator

I do use SQL Maestro too, but like you I have only scratched the surface with it.

I would just like to say if I have offended either of you sorry.

mjleprix

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
On a similar tack has anybody who uses the ADU database for logging tried to integrate their database and populate using that data. I use it for my logging and have found several aircraft, inputting the mode S code,as it seems to be more up to date.

Allocator

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
Andy,

You'll have to go a long way to offend me :-)

The database is very important to some people and having used some fairly awful systems in the past, I know how irritating it can be when they don't provide us with just what we think we need.

AirNav were very receptive to changing the whole way the database worked - a major program re-write - so I'm sure that they will keep working on this.  I don't think they initially realised what the more serious enthusiast wanted.  I'd like to see all the data being recorded somewhere, even if it's in a raw format and isn't immediately available for viewing.  At least then we could extract what we felt we needed.  As I mentioned in the past, I'm not sure that there are 2 people out there who want exactly the same thing.

I'd like to see some bright spark out there who is able to write us a standalone SQL database viewer/editor for the MyLog and NavData databases - SQL Maestro is very good, but it's just to dangerous for a user like me :-0 

If there was a standalone editor, the use would be at our own risk of course as AirNav wouldn't want to start help people who had trashed their databases!

I've just got back from Staples, having bought myself a 22 inch widescreen LCD running at 1680 x 1050 as a primary monitor.  The 180 x 1024 monitor now becomes the secondary monitor.  Trouble is, it's like sitting too close to the cinema screen - I don't know where to look!  RadarBox looks fantastic though :-)

abrad41

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »
Allocator

After reading the post again from Airnav I now feel a little offended - for the first time since being on this forum, I felt like I was on the sbs-1 forum and you now whats that like. I was only trying to help myself and other people, ok I got a little involved, but there is no need to speak to peole like that.  If they wanted to say something, they could have pm me.  And if I may say so, I do now my way round a computer and have worked with them, as long as they have been about.
And I am sorry to say you and AirNav made me feel small and stupid.

Anyway onto more pressing things -

I checked 15 aircraft in Mylog file which had not been populated by the Navdata file. I made a note of everything to do with the records, disabled my internet connection and tried a poulate - went back to Mylog and nothing had changed.
So for the 15 aircraft (within the records) I deleted Airline Name - AircraftTypelong - AircraftTypesmall and then tried to populate again, this time everything worked fine and the 15 aircraft were all populated with the records from the Navdata file.

This proves as we were thinking, It will only populate when the cells are empty.

Or and I do now what you mean about the monitor - I have 2 x 22" Samsung monitors, side by side - both running at 1680 x 1050

Andy

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
There was a reason why there is smiley face in our post. It wasn't meant to be a post to offend or make you feel small just stating we do read all the posts so no need to directly call us and especially bump the post.

Please don't take it too seriously.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 06:27:40 PM »

And I am sorry to say you and AirNav made me feel small and stupid.

I'm really sorry about that Andy, that is the last think that I would ever want to do and I offer you an unreserved apology.

The forum should be a fun place to be and it's not nice if you think that you are being "leaned" on - I know all about that from the SBS-1 forum.

abrad41

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 06:37:55 PM »
I accept the apology Allocator and AirNav.

Its all forgottin.

Andy

abrad41

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »
With looking through Mylog - I have just noticed, there is a lot of records which hav'nt even reach the Navdata database - so these would not get populated from the Navdata file anyway.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
Andy,
AFAIK, if the registration of an aircraft isn't known (on the Airnav server), then an aircraft record isn't added in the Navdata database.  So, did these aircraft have a known registration?

abrad41

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »
Yes you are right mate, the ones with a reg are in the Navdata and the ones without a reg are missing.

You have read the thread mate, any sugestions about populate etc etc

Andy