AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Populates Records  (Read 21126 times)

abrad41

Populates Records
« on: January 01, 2009, 04:19:42 PM »
Hi

Question - In Mylog when you use populate, does it get its information from Navdata.db3 first or the AirNav online database.

Cheers

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Populates Records
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
I'm not entirely sure about this.  I did think that it only got data from NavData.db3, but you do get the photo download message at the bottom right of the screen, so it's probably a combination of both.  As to whether NavData.db3 or the service that is searched first, I don't know.

Anybody else any ideas?

abrad41

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
Thanks

Be good to hear from AirNav Support on this.

I have just spent the last month sorting out my Navdata.db3 to how I want it to be. Today I have started a new Mylog file and want to fill in the missing bits, and don't want it being populated by the online database, I want to get the information from Navdata.db3 file.

If that make sence.

Cheers

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
It will go through the Navdata first and anything it does not find there it goes via the online database.

Well it should do :) Backup your database incase.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

abrad41

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
Thank for the quick response AirNav Support.

Yes I have made a back up already of both files, I will try it and see what happens.

Will report back for others, if they want to try the same thing.

Andy

abrad41

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
Right I have tried somethings and the results are -

1st - Done a populate with everything as normal - This took a long time, about 10 mins or so, thought the information must be coming from AirNav database.
Before I done the populate, I made a note 5 aircraft details (ModeS & Reg) - out of the 5 only one was populated correctly from the Navdata.db3 file - the other 4 were still showing the wrong details. So from this I asume that Mylog did not populate correctly from the AirNav database or from the Navdata file.

2nd - This time I turned my internet connection off, so if it was going to populate, it had to do it from the Navdata.db3 file. At the start when it populated, it stated I think about 251 records to be populated. I thought this had worked well because it was all over so quick and as I had no internet connection, it must have got the information from the Navdata file. But when I checked the Mylog file there were still some records which were not reading right. From this I can only asume that this way was far better, but not 100%

3rd - Again without my internet connected - I made a note of 3 United States Air Force Aircraft, 1 Iberworld, 1 Abelag and 1 Air Service Liege (Reg's) All were showing correct in the Navdata file.
I tried the populate again and afterwards checked these 6 aircraft again in Mylog file, nothing had changed, so I can only asume that this was not working how it should have done.

A big part of my hobbie is keeping correct records of what aircaft I have picked up through my antenna, so over the last month or so I have been sorting out my Navdata.db3 file.  This I completely emptied and started again, everything I picked up through my antenna I could correct in Navdata file and it would not be changed and from the 1st Jan 2009 with a empty Mylog file, everything in Mylog file would be able to populate from the Navdata file and show correctly in Mylog file.

I was wrong,  Airnav could we log a issue with this please.

I do believe in another thread someone was having problems with the --- not being overwritten by the populate system, could this be the same, bacause in the Mylog file there is a entry, it will not overight whats already there.

Andy

abrad41

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »
Just throwing this to the top again.

Could we have a response from Support or Development please.

When I get home from work today I will be trying a couple of tests to see if we can get to the bottom of this. Can I just say if Mylog file is not populating from the Navdata.db3 file, What is the point of having the Navdata file in the first place.

Cheers

Andy

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »
But I make changes to NavData.db3, then do a Populate from MyLog and I see the details filled in, so it is populating from NavData.db3.

Maybe it is only populating when the record in MyLog is completely blank - other than Mode S?

abrad41

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:50 AM »
Allocator

I think this may be the problem - Last night I Choose about 3 records and deleted everything in the records apart from ModeS and Reg, I then tried the populate (with no internet connection) and it populated the records in full.
This was a very quick test last night, so will try it more when I get home today.

But when RB is running Mylog is having some details entered, which then is not allowing it to be fully populated from the Navdata file, well this is my theory.
If when running Rb the Mylog was only filled with ModeS and Reg details, I think this would then work.

Cheers

Andy

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »
OK, just proved this again:

Mode S code 40589B showing in MyLog with no other details.  This is because there in nor record in the GAS database as this is actually an incorrect code being sent by an aircraft (see airframes.org for details)

Populate from MyLog has no effect as it's not in the GAS/AirNav Server database.

A search using Database Explorer show than no record exists for 40589B

Details obtained manually from airframes.org

New record created using Database Explorer

Populate run from MyLog, and aircraft details are now populated.

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
Just disproved my own theory a bit :-)

Went back into Database Explorer and added data to the Airline field of my "new" record as airframes.org didn't have details.

Ran Populate from MyLog and the record was updated correctly to show the Airline.

So, Populate seems to be working as it should from my point of view.

abrad41

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:30:10 AM »
Great I think this is how it will work.

Try it with a record in Mylog, which say has ModeS - Reg - Airline -(No AT or AN)
and see if it populates then. I will give you a example - In Mylog you will get Thomson(Britanina Airways) - In my Navdata File I have it as Thomson and doing the populate will not change that.

Andy

Allocator

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
Right, so maybe it won't overwrite data in a field if there is any data in the field?  If the field is blank, it writes from NavData/Server?

abrad41

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
Allocator

I think what we can take from this is, prehaps the database and populate is not working how maybe it should.

Andy

abrad41

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
If when the information is picked up from the aircraft, prehaps we only need the ModeS & Reg information entered in Mylog - then it would populate with the right details you want from your Navdata file.

Cheers

Andy